Tree 2UVR Collet Nose

zipfactor

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

I recently acquired a Tree 2UVR and I am looking for a collet nose / collet retaining ring (part number M-1003).

I’ve called a few of the popular sources such as ZPS and another in Michigan (Eagle manufacturing) without any luck.

I was wondering if anyone may have a lead on one of these parts, and if not, at least some dimensions I could use to make my own. I understand that they are hardened which shouldn’t be too much of an issue for me to handle. I’m just more concerned about the type of fit of the collet nose/ring to the spindle.

Any help would be really appreciated s I haven’t had much luck elsewhere.

If you want to try to make one let me know. I also have a Tree 2UVR and can measure my ring up and make you some drawings if you need it.

If you’d be able to make up a drawing that would be a huge help! It’s looking to be the only option at this point.

I will have to dig out my manual to be sure I am thinking of the same part you are talking about.

Are you referring to the Knurled ring at the bottom of the spindle?

Misc 058.jpg

Valve Shim Tool 005.jpg

That’s correct, the knurled ring at the bottom. It threads into the collet sleeve that slides up / down. It is the M-1003 part in the attached manual screenshot.FDAF649D-9F69-46B6-9939-DBB4604D1140.jpeg

I will see if I can get some time to work on it this weekend.

I know it is a very fine thread and of course the taper for the collet is critical.

To bad 3S closed down for Tree parts, they were located about a mile from my house. That was one of the reasons I bought this Tree 35 years ago, it was manufactured locally.

Here are a couple pics and a drawing.
The one I have is very hard.
The ID and the taper appear to be ground after heat treat.
The undercut on the ID is needed as the end of the spindle is a sharp corner.
Registration is on the ID and the taper.

Bottom.jpg

Top.jpg

Attachments

• Tree Collet Nut.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 16
A huge thank you for this! I’m sure this will help others in the future as well as these seem to be unobtainium these days.

Just a follow up note for anyone needing to make one of these. I ended up going with 4140 pre-hard material as hardening and grinding is not an option in my shop. The only issue I ran into is with the 2-5/16-16 thread. I had sized the thread to the middle of the spec (machinery's handbook), both OD and pitch diameter. Using these specs, the part was still having issues fitting in the spindle. I ended up making the OD to the bottom of the spec (2.301" OD) and chased the threads to clean them up, taking off between .005 and .010 on the pitch diameter. After that it was a perfect fit.

Back