Tree 2UVR Collet Nose

Pictures, We need pictures. Or it never really happened.

Here’s a few shots, it came out good overall. The knurling could have been a little heavier but it works great!29D20F00-DB1B-44CF-98DA-2EEAB7503A39.jpegEEA5C6FE-9BB2-41F7-880D-F56314127655.jpegBEE51D0A-3316-430E-B95F-04FEFCFC72C2.jpeg

Have you tried mounting it up with a collet and a pin to check run out?

The concentricity of the ID bore and the tapered bore will have a BIG impact on total run out, the fit of the ID to the spindle nose will also have a large impact on run out. Mine is a fairly tight fit to the spindle. They are either matched sets or both made to very tight tolerance.

There are times when that ring gets pretty tight, especially if it is locked down for several months at a time. You may want to revisit that knurl to a coarser pitch and deeper imprint.

Have you tried mounting it up with a collet and a pin to check run out?

The concentricity of the ID bore and the tapered bore will have a BIG impact on total run out, the fit of the ID to the spindle nose will also have a large impact on run out. Mine is a fairly tight fit to the spindle. They are either matched sets or both made to very tight tolerance.

There are times when that ring gets pretty tight, especially if it is locked down for several months at a time. You may want to revisit that knurl to a coarser pitch and deeper imprint.
I was able to hold the 1.626 ID to be a slip fit with the spindle nose. I mic’s my spindle nose and it was at about 1.6255”. I had the part dialed in a 4 jaw within half a thou, threaded the OD, bored the ID, and tapered bore in the same setup. Pin in the collet was reading 2 tenths TIR.

I’ve noticed I have to be careful when putting the collet on to make sure it’s straight otherwise it can get hung up on the spindle if slightly cocked.

Thanks for the tip on knurling, I’ll run it again and try to get the pattern deeper.

Take a look at the inside of the spindle for signs that someone may have spun a collet in the past and made a ridge or other damage. Mine has always been to just toss the collet into the cap and slap it in place and it has never done anything but center perfect. it never mattered how crooked it was dropped in. I have even tried to get it off center just to see if it would and it would not go off center even when trying.

Take a look at the inside of the spindle for signs that someone may have spun a collet in the past and made a ridge or other damage. Mine has always been to just toss the collet into the cap and slap it in place and it has never done anything but center perfect. it never mattered how crooked it was dropped in. I have even tried to get it off center just to see if it would and it would not go off center even when trying.
Looking closely at the spindle taper where the collet seats there is no damage whatsoever, very clean.

I did mistype in my previous response. Measuring TIR at the spindle taper only was .0002”. With the collet nose (nut) that I’d just made, indicating on the 40 deg taper was showing about .0005” TIR. With collet and 3/8” pin installed, .0006” TIR about .500” from the collet nut face.

I’m getting about .0003” TIR from the collet nut itself. To be honest I wasn’t too meticulous with indicating in, probably could have spent more time. But I’m happy with the results and can always chase those tenths on a new nut in the future.

Back