Trepanning on a Vertical Mill

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got a wild hair today to build a pedestal for my bench grinder. After scrounging around I found some suitable materials, including a brake drum for the base. I had some 1/4 HR plate for the transition from brake drum to upright pipe, and decided it needed to be round to match the drum. 8 inches appeared to be the right diameter. If I'd been thinking clearly, I would have bandsawed and sanded it, but no! Why have all this fancy equipment if you're not going to use it.
So I clamped the piece of plate onto the mill table and grabbed the trepanning tool that came with all the other equipment Fred gave me. This one he had made, it uses a parting blade for a cutter.

WP_20191220_07_37_55_Pro.jpg

An hour and a half later, my ears ringing and reeking of cutting oil, I had my circle.

WP_20200207_16_23_50_Pro.jpg

It's amazing how easy some jobs are with the right tools. ;)

They work like magic but do have a tendency to squeal a bit . I turn up the radio . :) They also work great in the lathe if you get the chance .

Not much radial clearance on a parting tool. Probably accounts for a lot of the squealing. And you would have a Really hard time getting the proper SFPM on a mill. Glad it worked out for you.

Back