Triumph Spitfire Weber-carb throttle cable adapter.

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So as a back story: A friend of mine bought a '78 Triumph Spitfire about 20 years ago, had some problems with it that a bunch of shade-tree mechanics made worse, then parked it for 10-15 years. Its now a bit of a rust-bucket, and everything is corroded/'bad'. In addition, past owners have done 'upgrades' a few times that make things perhaps a little better or worse. IN ADDITION TO THAT, there are some questionable design decisions, mixed with Lucas Electronics.

He brought it over to my shop to get me to spend my spare time on/off trying to get it at least 'working' again. I had to rebuild/replace the entire brake system, fuel system, I ended up having to replace the entire fuel system, cooling system, redo a lot of the wiring, and quite a bit else! I still have to replace the dashboard, as the plywood was basically shattered from the water, so touching it made it turn to dust.

ONE such previous-owner install was to replace the factory twin carbs with a Weber DGEV (though, someone along the way cut the wire to the choke... why? who knows...). The replacement carb had a 'clamp-on-wire' style throttle cable adapter, which required 'cutting' the ferrule off the end of the throttle cable. We ordered a new throttle cable (thanks to some pretty terrible damage to it), plus a new carb (due to a failed rebuild attempt!).

However, I couldn't bring myself to cutting the new throttle cable. Instead, I went to the machine shop!

First step was measuring the current part, the throttle cable end, and the part it attached to, then use those to plan the new part:
PXL_20210819_211918196.jpg

I chose to make the hex head on it anyway, since it is useful when putting the split pin in the small hole, and made the cable side pretty large to make it easier to get it right.

Next, I needed to find material! I went with this piece I cut off my old mill's X axis leadscrew (to adapt a different/newer power feed!), so I hope it is something like 4140. It certainly machined like something harder than 1018.

PXL_20210819_212128518.jpg

Now, onto the lathe work! I cut the small end on the outside, made an area for the hex head, then swapped left and right-hand tools back and forth to cut the inside. I still haven't found a good way of moving a lot of material like this. I think I need to come up with a "Left and right" hand tool shaped like a dovetail :)

PXL_20210819_214452019.jpg

Once down to size everywhere, I parted off and was done with the lathe work.
PXL_20210819_214946664.jpg

Here it is parted off. There is a nub at the end (I tried to shape my parting tool, but it seemed to only make it walk? Oh well, I end up removing these some way or another, and it was easy on this project.
PXL_20210819_215244655.jpg

Now, onto the mill! (This is the first project using my new mill by the way! Pretty exciting!) First step was cutting the hex. I just used a hex collet block and a 5/8" endmill:
PXL_20210819_221006151.jpg

Same setup, I drilled for the split pin. The DRO was useful for getting it in the right place.
PXL_20210819_222012999.jpg

Next, flipped around in the collet block (and square this time!), I started drilling the ferrule hole.

PXL_20210819_223319313.jpg

This ended up being a center drill, followed by a small thru-hole, then a larger 'counter bore', which fits the ferrule perfectly! I was a touch nervous, since if my measurements/the holes didn't end up being right for the throttle cable, I would have a tough time resetting this drilling (since there is no way to test it until the next step!).
PXL_20210819_223558871.jpg

Finally, I needed clearance for the cable. Cable was measured as .059", but I only have 2 slitting saws: a large diameter .032" and a small diameter .078". I wasn't thrilled with trying to do 2 cuts with the small one, so I went with the large one. I only have a 2 axis DRO, so I missed the Z axis DRO here! I did a pretty poor job getting it centered with the dial, and lost count, so I wasn't anywhere near the center. SO, I eyeballed it and it is 'fine'. Its a little off center, but it works.
PXL_20210819_224254069.jpg

Finally, a test fit on the throttle cable! It is just about the perfect amount of 'tight'!
PXL_20210819_224339377.jpg

Last, but not least, cold blue to make it rust slower than the rest of the car:
PXL_20210819_224932144.jpg

And no 'finished product' picture, I grabbed a beer and let the blue work, then forgot to take a finished picture.

The Spitfire was my first crush auto wise. I just thought they were the coolest thing ever. Being the oldest and the first to get my license and wanting a car my dad took my consideration seriously and ran them by his mechanic. And bless his heart and all his vital organs he steered both of us away from English cars. Even then I wanted to drive more than fix and they would not have been a good fit.

But I’ve not seen any Spitfire’s in decades and often wondered why nobody swapped out the electrical and running gear for like Toyota and just keep basically the cute hull. Are they like the old Porsche’s, once they get cancer they are toast?

The Spitfire was my first crush auto wise. I just thought they were the coolest thing ever. Being the oldest and the first to get my license and wanting a car my dad took my consideration seriously and ran them by his mechanic. And bless his heart and all his vital organs he steered both of us away from English cars. Even then I wanted to drive more than fix and they would not have been a good fit.

But I’ve not seen any Spitfire’s in decades and often wondered why nobody swapped out the electrical and running gear for like Toyota and just keep basically the cute hull. Are they like the old Porsche’s, once they get cancer they are toast?
They are pretty cheap, and a lot of parts are available, so they have a pretty good community around them! This one needs a battery tray, floor boards, and a boot/trunk-floor, but they are apparently available and weld-in-able. The rest is actually not in awful shape!

The engine/transmission themselves are reasonably cheap and reliable, so those end up being worth keeping. They are at a minimum, 'dirt simple'. There ARE a couple of generic electrical-system 'kits' that people use when doing a rebuild to add fuses/relays, though nothing car specific.

The 'factory' fuse box is actually only _3_ fuses! So the whole car is 3 circuits! 1 is 'always on', 1 for 'ignition on', and 1 for 'headlights on'. One frustrating part is that every control has full-12v running through it as well!

I find it interesting what the 'spitfire' facebook groups consider an expensive part though! I was told that I should just spend a few more hours trying to re-rebuild the carb instead of paying the exorbinant $200 for the replacement. On MY sports car (a 300zx TT), fixing something for only $200 in parts is considered a great day!

Well, we had this gem for almost 30 years. It came as part of the dowry, otherwise I'm not sure I would have bought it. It was fun to drive, but the Lucas electrical was a mess, plus it simply couldn't handle the Houston heat. So we got rid of it in 2002 for a song. I am astonished what people are listing these things for these days.

Tony: As far as the swap goes, if we still had the Triumph today, I would definitely do one - maybe even electrify the thing. The swap of the LT-1/4L60E into the Jaguar made all the difference in the world for that vehicle, though we are still weeding out Lucas stuff one-by-one as those bits fail.

Trium5.JPGTrium9.JPG

Well, we had this gem for almost 30 years. It came as part of the dowry, otherwise I'm not sure I would have bought it. It was fun to drive, but the Lucas electrical was a mess, plus it simply couldn't handle the Houston heat. So we got rid of it in 2002 for a song. I am astonished what people are listing these things for these days.

Tony: As far as the swap goes, if we still had the Triumph today, I would definitely do one - maybe even electrify the thing. The swap of the LT-1/4L60E into the Jaguar made all the difference in the world for that vehicle, though we are still weeding out Lucas stuff one-by-one as those bits fail.

View attachment 375849View attachment 375848

They are certainly PRETTY cars!

I'm appauled/amazed at how TERRIBLE Lucas stuff is, even 'new' stuff. I went through a period buying like 4 different Lucas things and EACH needed repair before I could install them. One was a replacement blinker stalk that was mis-assembled and and didn't come close to working. Another ridiculous one was a flanged pipe adapter that they forgot to tap one of the holes in! Thats right, a simple pipe with a 2-hole flange: missed tapping 1 hole.

Stripping the car down to nothing and making in an EV would be pretty cool! The interior is mostly cardboard garbage (that the rain has also melted...), so a good interior guy would be nice as well.

View attachment 375849View attachment 375848
Wow you even had the hardtop for it too. I remember them having one of the tiniest radiators I’d ever seen. I also think I’d mod the hood hinge as it opened enough to pi$$ me off. I hate being able to see something but not be able to physically get to it.

It does boggle the mind Lucas is such garbage and continues to be. How is that even possible today? The last funky garage I worked in the owners wife’s best friend had a brand new Jag sedan of some kind and I’m not joking, it had to be towed to the garage in Fresno every other week.

They are pretty cheap, and a lot of parts are available, so they have a pretty good community around them! This one needs a battery tray, floor boards, and a boot/trunk-floor, but they are apparently available and weld-in-able. The rest is actually not in awful shape!

The engine/transmission themselves are reasonably cheap and reliable, so those end up being worth keeping. They are at a minimum, 'dirt simple'. There ARE a couple of generic electrical-system 'kits' that people use when doing a rebuild to add fuses/relays, though nothing car specific.

The 'factory' fuse box is actually only _3_ fuses! So the whole car is 3 circuits! 1 is 'always on', 1 for 'ignition on', and 1 for 'headlights on'. One frustrating part is that every control has full-12v running through it as well!

I find it interesting what the 'spitfire' facebook groups consider an expensive part though! I was told that I should just spend a few more hours trying to re-rebuild the carb instead of paying the exorbinant $200 for the replacement. On MY sports car (a 300zx TT), fixing something for only $200 in parts is considered a great day!
Hmm, that’s crazy. There are car clubs that meet in Morro Bay year around. 356 clubs, 911, Bug Eye Sprite, various other MG’s etc. Never Spitfires. I never would have known there was any interest in them.

I never had any luck with any kind of variable venturi carb no matter English or German. I did have great luck once I learned how to jet the Weber 2bbl‘s. They always came too lean and I could pick them up for nothing because the shade trees couldn’t get the hesitation and bog out of them and would get rid of them for pennies on the dollar. Once jetted right it made my old Datsun 1600 scream and get over 30mpg. Best part never had to fiddle with it after it was dialed in.

brings back memories of a Triumph Spitfire I had when I was 19 years old. Had a removeable hard top and I loved it but did not have enough money or skill to keep it reliable so I had to sell it. One of my few regrets.

So as a back story: A friend of mine bought a '78 Triumph Spitfire about 20 years ago, had some problems with it that a bunch of shade-tree mechanics made worse, then parked it for 10-15 years. Its now a bit of a rust-bucket, and everything is corroded/'bad'. In addition, past owners have done 'upgrades' a few times that make things perhaps a little better or worse. IN ADDITION TO THAT, there are some questionable design decisions, mixed with Lucas Electronics.

He brought it over to my shop to get me to spend my spare time on/off trying to get it at least 'working' again. I had to rebuild/replace the entire brake system, fuel system, I ended up having to replace the entire fuel system, cooling system, redo a lot of the wiring, and quite a bit else! I still have to replace the dashboard, as the plywood was basically shattered from the water, so touching it made it turn to dust.

ONE such previous-owner install was to replace the factory twin carbs with a Weber DGEV (though, someone along the way cut the wire to the choke... why? who knows...). The replacement carb had a 'clamp-on-wire' style throttle cable adapter, which required 'cutting' the ferrule off the end of the throttle cable. We ordered a new throttle cable (thanks to some pretty terrible damage to it), plus a new carb (due to a failed rebuild attempt!).

However, I couldn't bring myself to cutting the new throttle cable. Instead, I went to the machine shop!

First step was measuring the current part, the throttle cable end, and the part it attached to, then use those to plan the new part:
View attachment 375832

I chose to make the hex head on it anyway, since it is useful when putting the split pin in the small hole, and made the cable side pretty large to make it easier to get it right.

Next, I needed to find material! I went with this piece I cut off my old mill's X axis leadscrew (to adapt a different/newer power feed!), so I hope it is something like 4140. It certainly machined like something harder than 1018.

View attachment 375833

Now, onto the lathe work! I cut the small end on the outside, made an area for the hex head, then swapped left and right-hand tools back and forth to cut the inside. I still haven't found a good way of moving a lot of material like this. I think I need to come up with a "Left and right" hand tool shaped like a dovetail :)

View attachment 375834

Once down to size everywhere, I parted off and was done with the lathe work.
View attachment 375835

Here it is parted off. There is a nub at the end (I tried to shape my parting tool, but it seemed to only make it walk? Oh well, I end up removing these some way or another, and it was easy on this project.
View attachment 375836

Now, onto the mill! (This is the first project using my new mill by the way! Pretty exciting!) First step was cutting the hex. I just used a hex collet block and a 5/8" endmill:
View attachment 375837

Same setup, I drilled for the split pin. The DRO was useful for getting it in the right place.
View attachment 375838

Next, flipped around in the collet block (and square this time!), I started drilling the ferrule hole.

View attachment 375839

This ended up being a center drill, followed by a small thru-hole, then a larger 'counter bore', which fits the ferrule perfectly! I was a touch nervous, since if my measurements/the holes didn't end up being right for the throttle cable, I would have a tough time resetting this drilling (since there is no way to test it until the next step!).
View attachment 375840

Finally, I needed clearance for the cable. Cable was measured as .059", but I only have 2 slitting saws: a large diameter .032" and a small diameter .078". I wasn't thrilled with trying to do 2 cuts with the small one, so I went with the large one. I only have a 2 axis DRO, so I missed the Z axis DRO here! I did a pretty poor job getting it centered with the dial, and lost count, so I wasn't anywhere near the center. SO, I eyeballed it and it is 'fine'. Its a little off center, but it works.
View attachment 375841

Finally, a test fit on the throttle cable! It is just about the perfect amount of 'tight'!
View attachment 375842

Last, but not least, cold blue to make it rust slower than the rest of the car:
View attachment 375843

And no 'finished product' picture, I grabbed a beer and let the blue work, then forgot to take a finished picture.
I
Hmm, that’s crazy. There are car clubs that meet in Morro Bay year around. 356 clubs, 911, Bug Eye Sprite, various other MG’s etc. Never Spitfires. I never would have known there was any interest in them.

I never had any luck with any kind of variable venturi carb no matter English or German. I did have great luck once I learned how to jet the Weber 2bbl‘s. They always came too lean and I could pick them up for nothing because the shade trees couldn’t get the hesitation and bog out of them and would get rid of them for pennies on the dollar. Once jetted right it made my old Datsun 1600 scream and get over 30mpg. Best part never had to fiddle with it after it was dialed in.
I'm the guy who couldn't get the hesitation and bog out of a weber lol. I had an 82 cj7 and that two barrel weber about drove me mad. I ended up blowing the muffler apart right down the welded seam lol. I got a offenhauser intake with a four barrel and that was a great combo with the straight 6. You have my respect for being able to dial one in though, mine is probably still laying wherever it landed when i threw it.

. I ended up blowing the muffler apart right down the welded seam lol.
LOL. Now I can’t imagine what kind of hoops you’d have to jump through to get it to work on 6cyl, unless it was rig up 2 of those Weber’s. The ones I’m familiar with were meant for 4cyl. Most tried to put them on VW’s. The one I’d had someone gave me after he gave up. It sat in a box for years before the silly stock Datsun carb wore out and I put the Weber on it. It helped we had a smog machine and I could see directly what the problem was :)

Back