Trouble Picking a VFD for South Bend 13 Lathe

I believe you mean external braking resistor. There is no down side to adding a braking resistor as long as the VFD has the provision to support it. You do not need to buy the factory braking resistor, VFD manufacturers list the recommend ohms (minimum) and the wattage, you can connect it to any power resistor that meets the minimum specifications. So a 1 Hp Hitachi WJ200-007SF lists 75 ohms 300W, so a resistor in the 75-125 ohm range 300W is around $40-50. It is not uncommon for factory VFD lathes to connect the brake to a switch which activates the VFD braking, I also have seen people use a foot switch that if released will stop a machine. Please be aware that you typically need some form of interlock or relay system to prevent the machine from restarting once a fault mode is removed or with power up. How this is implemented depends on the VFD, so it is not a simple matter of wiring the VFD to your motor and wiring the run inputs to a switch. You can use 3 wire control which uses momentary buttons for run and stop and a sustained for reverse (this varies by manufacturer, some have a momentary for for-stop-rev). Two wire control which is the default, requires a sustained switch for the direction for-rev, this can be dangerous if the machine is in a run mode after a fault is cleared or power up. I use some relay designs with 2 wire control which prevents this, but it all takes some figuring out. Mill I usually recommend 3 wire control. How 3-wire control is implemented varies by VFD manufacturer, so the way it is implemented say with the Fuji is a bit atypical from what I have seen from other manufactures.

You are also limited as to braking based on the chuck mounting (i.e. threading) and the drive connection to the motor, older flat belts are limited as to power delivery and braking.

Since I do not know what kind of switch gear or how you want to implement the run/direction commands, it is a bit more difficult to give you specific directions. Attached are two designs for use with a lathe using momentary buttons for for-stop-rev, the first is specific to the WJ200 which has an internal 24VDC power supply that can supply up to 100 mA (most are like 20 mA so not enough power to close a relay), the second design can be used on 2 wire control VFD (the jog circuit is specific to the WJ200), it requires a 24VDC power supply. Each VFD model has strengths and weaknesses, typically the more expensive ones have more features/controls, but it comes down to what you need/want it to do.

Attachments

• WJ200 Small Lathe VFD Schematic with two 24VDC Relays.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 8
  • WJ200 Small Lathe VFD Schematic with two 24VDC Relays.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 4
Good advice, I will second the get a VFD that supports an external braking resistor, and yes power resistors are readily available I had an appropriate one in my big resistors bin. You can see how fast my drill press spools down in this video

I have a used and now old Schneider for my mill and it has given no problems at all.

It seems most people have had success with the generic MIC VFD's. I had one fail within about one year of very light duty use on my drill press, no fireworks it just quit. I replaced it with a different brand from stepper online and so far (just a few months) it seems fine. If it fails I will not purchase anymore MIC.

I have 4 of the Teco L510 units running for about 6 years now without any issues.

@GForceJunky

I took Mark's recommendation and got the Hitachi model WJ200-022SF for my 3 HP PM1440GT lathe conversion. It has worked out really well and I have had no problems with it and it was pretty easy to program via my laptop. A link to my VFD conversion is below. It might give you some ideas. The 1HP version will be somewhat cheaper. The manual is extensive... long... and so takes a while to digest, but it is much better to have a good manual than to have a poor one!

http://www.hitachi-iec.cn/ch/product/trans/wj200/images/WJ200 Series Instruction manual.pdf
For Hitachi model WJ200-022SF, the WJ200 is a model series, while the 022 indicates it will provide 2.2KWatt, 3HP motor. Of the 022SF the S indicates a single phase input while the F indicates the VFD comes with a keypad as well as a USB input for programing.)

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

Good Luck
Dave L.

Last edited:
Back