Trouble shooting VFD Mitsubishi

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
I picked up a mill this last weekend and was supposed to leave it alone till the barn was done. Well I couldn't leave it alone I need to start making a list of parts needed to get this thing running.
When I picked it up I was told it was hooked up and ran for one job. The next time they tried to use it there was a electrical problem ? The owner passed away and this was from the widow. I would assume it would be the inverter or the motor but I can't test the motor without a inverter ?
So how would a guy test a inverter ? I was just going to hook it up to 220 and test the out going legs but I'm unsure on the proper way to do that and if its a safety issue ?
Another question on this brand of inverter ? Is this the right type of is there a better type / brand to go with ? I have access to three phase motors and thought about doing a rotary phase converter but I really like the variable speed control.
Thanks in advance for any help .
Ed
20140903_202107_zpsxges5ia2.jpg
20140904_205454_zpswyogvckf.jpg

20140903_202107_zpsxges5ia2.jpg

20140904_205454_zpswyogvckf.jpg

First, don't power up the VFD without the motor connected.

I would hook everything up like it was when you got the mill and see what happens. Given the circumstances, I assume it was connected when you picked it up. If not, then wire it up per the manual. It looks like the VFD will run on a single phase input. Running on single phase will limit the permissible output current to 3 amps. It should run a 1HP motor at almost full load.

As far as the brand goes, Mitsubishi is top of the line.

See what happens when you power it up before trying to find a problem that may not exist. If it won't run, then is the time to start trouble shooting, at least it may give you an indication of where to look.

Thanks for the reply Jim . Yes it was wired up when I picked it up and it would be easy to rewire. My only concern is none of the ground wires were connected to anything . I found the wiring diagram in the storage space but it was moldy on the wire diagram page.
Time permitting this weekend we will give it a try.

Thanks for the reply Jim . Yes it was wired up when I picked it up and it would be easy to rewire. My only concern is none of the ground wires were connected to anything . I found the wiring diagram in the storage space but it was moldy on the wire diagram page.
Time permitting this weekend we will give it a try.

My pleasure. There should be a terminal on the VFD to connect the grounds to. Connect all grounds to a single point to prevent ground loops. Here is a link to the manual online.
http://www.vfds.com/manuals/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-a024-manual.pdf

I should be around if you would like a bit of help.

Last edited:
I can hear something in the video, but I'm not sure what it is, could be mechanical or electrical. The sound quality is really not good enough to tell. You might take a look at parameter 72, ''Selection for PWM frequency''. This controls the chopper frequency and it may be what you are hearing. It looks like the factory default is 1KHz, maybe try 2KHz and see if it changes. The other thing that comes to mind is that you are running at maximum speed in the video, you might try changing the belt to the lowest speed and see what happens. Not sure if that will make a difference or not.

The good news is that it is running and not throwing any error codes or letting the magic smoke out.

Back