Truck Frame Rivet Substitute

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
I'm swapping the running gear out from underneath one truck to another. The donor truck has some accessories such as spring perches on the frame that I would like to add to the truck receiving the new axle.
The spring perches are riveted on and I was wondering what would be as close to a replacement as possible, a grade 5 or a grade 8 bolt?

Disclaimer- I know that what I am doing is not factory. I will resume all risks, I would just like some suggestions on what would be the closest to the hardness of the original rivets.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

How are you getting the rivets out? Grinding , burning ,or drilling. If you can drill them they're not a harden steal but I don't think I'd use anything harder then an grade eight bolt and jam nut them too. The metal should give some without snapping in two. Further research is needed !!

Call WC Supply here in Tyler. They specialize in springs and chassis parts and hardware, if you want to go back with original style rivets. Otherwise I'd probably use grade 8 bolts, but buy them long enough to allow the non-threaded area to bear the load of the joined members. You could then saw off the excess threads.

Center punch and drill first, grind off head second, beat into submission third.
I have approximately 18 rivets per side.:eek:

Very common in our shop; replacing perches. In fact we did a F350 last week so bad don't now how the rear end did'nt fall out.
We usually buy from LMC included are grade 8 hardware. blow off rivet heads with torch then use air punch hammer.

On replacing rivets with bolts....verify that the bolts fit the holes snugly, that there is no possibility for movement between the pieces. In other words, don't put a 5/16 bolt in a 3/8" hole. If need be turn the shank down to be a tap fit into the holes.

The few rivets that I have taken out of a auto were much softer than a grade 8 bolt. I suspect that either grade 5 or grade 8 would be OK; would use grade 8 if there was any doubt.

Since rivets are peened to form the head, I would expect the rivets will be soft. The process of forming the head also upsets the material between the heads, usually expanding to fill any void. This prevents a shearing motion between the riveted members. When rivets are replaced on architectural structural members, the holes are reamed and fitted with tight fitting bolts.

As per Tonys sugrstion I called WC supply. They said a snug fitting grade 8 is sufficient. Thanks to all of y'all who replied!
Now finding time to finish this job!

I deheaded 16 rivets in 2 hours. Only one broken 1/8th drill bit and a smashed thumb! Now only 32 more to go!
Surprisingly the rivets were softer than I thought they would be.

Back