Truck vs truck...

Perhaps in Florida that's the case, in colder climates it's a different story, my work truck uses 5 gallons every 1500-2000 miles!, added cost, yes!

Disel engines are 150% more expensive maintanance wise.
Also consider if you have to use DEF, that contributes to the bottom line.

Jake Parker

My old boss has the diesel truck in question. I asked him about the def fluid, more specifically, asked what happens when it runs out... I think he said a light on the dash comes on.... Woah... Hold the phone, a light?!
What's to stop me from even putting the fluid in? I realize it's what keeps the emotions low, or something. But it's not integral to its function or operation.

My old boss has the diesel truck in question. I asked him about the def fluid, more specifically, asked what happens when it runs out... I think he said a light on the dash comes on.... Woah... Hold the phone, a light?!
What's to stop me from even putting the fluid in? I realize it's what keeps the emotions low, or something. But it's not integral to its function or operation.

It will go into "Derate" before it runs out!, that means it will go to like 50% power, if you keep running it it will then drop to 1/2 of that, and then shut itself off!, not a good idea to run out!.

FF

It will go into "Derate" before it runs out!, that means it will go to like 50% power, if you keep running it it will then drop to 1/2 of that, and then shut itself off!, not a good idea to run out!.

FF
The electronically controlled diesel engines also store lots of engine history information in their computers. All that information is viewable by the dealer when you go ask for warranty work. If you did not drive and service it according to the manual, you may be denied your warranty claim. I was a parts guy at a dealer shop for 26 years, this is not hearsay.

Well... That just all sounds like a big ol' pain in the cunningham....

I agree with flatfender, my truck is using about 5gal per 2000 miles also. This has been almost all towing a trailer. You can't say this isn't an added cost.
Joe Hynes

I Wanted to add one more thought. All newer diesel, dump more fuel when they are idling to keep the catalytic converter at temp and sometimes at intervals they will consume twice as much fuel to burn the deposits in the converter. Stop and go city driving is death for a diesel, they like to run at a constant speed under load. As for economy i get 1400 km on a tank i don't run it all the way dry, sometimes 1600 Km till the reserve light comes on the tank is 85 liters on average 5l every 100km.

I run a 03 6.0 and can't break 11mpg . Motors been bulletproofed , upgraded turbo , egr delete , muffler delete , 4" exhaust , tuned , 37s all around and just punched the converter out this past weekend . The thing runs like a beast but darn does it eat fuel . I may check the tune since I haven't changed anything since I bought it .

Before I bought this truck , I rented a 2017 F350 dually and towed my 32 foot camper up to the Adirondacks property . 21 mpg no sweat , passing cars on the mountains like they were standing still . That truck didn't have the acceleration or " neat " factor as the truck I bought , but Id'e rather have the 21 mpg these days . Interesting thread .

Back