Trying out the latest Prusa Slicer Organic Support

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I downloaded the latest Prusa Slicer build 2.6.0-alpha4 and played the Organic Supports. It worked great! An interesting thing happened while printing, nothing to do with the slicer. But last night while printing I opened the doors to my enclosure to take a photo, it must have been enough of a draft to cause a layer shift. Anyway, here are the photos. You guys probably already have this, but if anyone is interested here is the link to the new alpha build.

20230219_221210.jpg

20230220_082234.jpg

I downloaded the latest Prusa Slicer build 2.6.0-alpha4 and played the Organic Supports. It worked great! An interesting thing happened while printing, nothing to do with the slicer. But last night while printing I opened the doors to my enclosure to take a photo, it must have been enough of a draft to cause a layer shift. Anyway, here are the photos. You guys probably already have this, but if anyone is interested here is the link to the new alpha build.

View attachment 438415

View attachment 438416
That's a bit nicer than all the junk there used to be for supports. What is the thickness of the vertical part? Do the trees break off nice?

I have to work on my enclosure. Have the acrylic panels, need to print the pieces. Just need to start on it...

The thickness of the vertical part was .2 thousand and yes, the supports break off really easy. Much better than the old way.

Cloning the code now. Somewhat slow download, but it's done. Now to build it.

That looks very, very cool!

It's time for me to upgrade to V2.6.

Last edited:
I got 2.6 downloaded and working. I'm gonna try and put these organic supports to the test.

I have a buddy who's into building 1/4 scale model RC airplanes. He's been wanting to put a set of MG131s under the nose cowl of his FW190A8 for awhile now, but there aren't really any CAD models available for such a thing.

So, i spent the better part of a day guesstimating my way through a CAD model, using varous random pics from the internet as a rough guide.

The goal was to convert pics like these, into a useable model.
MG131 Pics.jpg

Here's the CAD model, after lots and lots of work:

MG131 Set FW190A8.jpg

This thing looks pretty cool rendered with Keyshot:

MG131 Rendering.17.jpg

It's going to be cut up into printable size pieces, printed, then glued together. If everything goes well, he can do some sanding, painting, glue in some wires to simulate the wiring harnesses and cables. Hopefully it makes a good cosmetic cover to hide the electronics and batteries that hidden in the nose of the airplane.

The first part is going to be the dual MG131 mount, sliced with organic supports. I'm hoping the supports work really well, because there are lots of them.

Untitled.jpg

Cloning the code now. Somewhat slow download, but it's done. Now to build it.

So, I just downloaded PrusaSlicer and am running it from the downloads folder by doubleclicking the .exe file.

When you say "build it", im assuming you mean that there is some kind of actual install process or the files. the 2.5 version I had was installed with an installer program, but i didn't see anything like than in the github download for 2.6

How do you build, or install it? It seems to run fine just by doubleclicking the .exe file, but i'm guessing this is NOT the correct way to do it?

It will be great when they push that alpha release to production!

So, I just downloaded PrusaSlicer and am running it from the downloads folder by doubleclicking the .exe file.

When you say "build it", im assuming you mean that there is some kind of actual install process or the files. the 2.5 version I had was installed with an installer program, but i didn't see anything like than in the github download for 2.6

How do you build, or install it? It seems to run fine just by doubleclicking the .exe file, but i'm guessing this is NOT the correct way to do it?
I just downloaded the Windows version, extracted it to a folder and run the application from there. Works fine.

I got 2.6 downloaded and working. I'm gonna try and put these organic supports to the test.

I have a buddy who's into building 1/4 scale model RC airplanes. He's been wanting to put a set of MG131s under the nose cowl of his FW190A8 for awhile now, but there aren't really any CAD models available for such a thing.

So, i spent the better part of a day guesstimating my way through a CAD model, using varous random pics from the internet as a rough guide.

The goal was to convert pics like these, into a useable model.
View attachment 438598

Here's the CAD model, after lots and lots of work:

View attachment 438600

This thing looks pretty cool rendered with Keyshot:

View attachment 438604

It's going to be cut up into printable size pieces, printed, then glued together. If everything goes well, he can do some sanding, painting, glue in some wires to simulate the wiring harnesses and cables. Hopefully it makes a good cosmetic cover to hide the electronics and batteries that hidden in the nose of the airplane.

The first part is going to be the dual MG131 mount, sliced with organic supports. I'm hoping the supports work really well, because there are lots of them.

View attachment 438603

Oh my god that's a lot of features, LOL. I have a lot to learn. That thing looks great, good job!

Back