Trying to figure out a way to do this

Why not simple jam nuts?
Because it's a slip fit into the one end shown and secured with set screws.

I have the rod cut and the lever on the transmission shaft adjusted. It was a long process trying to get the trans into all the gears within the travel of the shifter arm from the aftermarket column. I got it together and tightened the set screws and the first time I moved the shifter arm on the column the rod pulled out. I tried to tighten it just a little more and the set screws stripped out. There was only one full thread on the set screws before they hit the rod to tighten it. I knew they would strip if I put to much torque on them but I had to try.

I was trying to get everything worked out before welding it but no dice. So I came up with a round collar (top right in picture) that fits over the adapter and has a 1/4" allen set screw in it that I positioned over the hole I drilled to do the rosette weld. So far so good. I hesitate to weld it before I get the car ready to start it up again and make sure I have all the gears available and that my neutral safety switch works correctly. I had to make a plate to move the switch over some since I put the adjustable lever on the gear shift shaft. I need to pull the plate and round the edges off and bead blast and paint it now.

20230328_110736.jpg

I guess you got to be under that and fighting with it to understand. I put adjustable camber arms on my 350Z and they were a similar setup but much beefier. It used jam nuts on the same kind of heim nut. Anyway, people don’t understand the ups and downs of serious customization. Give her hell!

It is hard to understand. And I didn't mention the barrel nut I made out of 3/4" hex rod or or the missalignment spacers I made out of 3/8 tubing.

The rod was threaded on one end, and the other end slipped into the gold colored adapter and is supposed to be secured with set screws. Yeah, right:(

One the other end of the rod I do have a jam nut. Didn't figure I needed one on both ends.

Kinda hard to see the jam nut.

20230329_121527.jpg

Last edited:
Back