Trying to find my first Mini Lathe

@SouthernChap A "usable" vevor lathe? is there such a mythical machine out there without going through a full rebuild using replacement parts?

@SouthernChap A "usable" vevor lathe? is there such a mythical machine out there without going through a full rebuild using replacement parts?
I know one of the members has fettled one of their larger lathes (a 9x? 11x? something like that) into respectable usability and it seemed like the standard 'project kit, assembled for shipping convenience' experience of Chinese lathes.

Going by the horror stories on here and other places, it's their smaller lathes that seem much more troublesome than mini lathes from other, well-known importers.

To be fair, I don't remember any reports of 8x Vevor lathes. Maybe it's just the 7x lathes that are irredeemably terrible and once you get above that, the rest are acceptably fixable. :dunno:

Last edited:
I know one of the members has fettled one of their larger lathes (a 9x? 11x? something like that) into respectable usability and it seemed like the standard 'project kit, assembled for shipping convenience' experience of Chinese lathes.

Going by the horror stories on here and other places, it's their smaller lathes that seem much more troublesome than mini lathes from other, well-known importers.

To be fair, I remember any reports of 8x Vevor lathes. Maybe it's just the 7x lathes that are irredeemably terrible and once you get above that, the rest are acceptably fixable. :dunno:

If that 8x noted by the OP above is based on a 7x as I suspect it to be, then there will be a whole host of issues related to parts quality, fitment and alignment.

Back