Trying to get a building permit for a School Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several shipping containers stacked and made into houses have been approved here. Takes a "special permit ." I wanted to put a two car garage on my side lot. That was OK but I couldn't have insulation, heating, A/C or water. It was to be my tinkering shop. Temperatures here go from -30F to 105F. I gave up.

I am kind of happy that the city planning commission will not approve shipping containers on my or my neighbors lots.
Well, the alternative here is going to be a bunch of horse stalls. Neighbor has one, thats what gave me the idea when I bought the place. My plan was to paint it the same tan as most houses around here, and put a pitched metal roof on it so it looks like a building. Now the plan is to build a horse stall every month or so until I have most things under cover.

ADA (Fed) deals with discrimination. In CA there is also Title 24, chapter 11 which deals with accessibility. The CA code includes all the ADA standards with some additions or stricter standards. Under CA T-24, Ch. 11 one can only sue a business for up to $1,000 for all violations found. Under ADA one can sue a business for up to $4,000 for each violation found. This is what the serial plaintiffs do, sue under ADA. Most times it is a shakedown of a business. "Hey, I found 10 violations. I can sue you for $40,000 but i'll go away for $20,000. Most of the serial plaintiifs are disabled lawers who have their minions scour small businesses for violations. Most small businesses cannot aford to go to court so will settle. Those who fight find it will cost more to defend than paying the shakedown. Some jurisdictions have caught on and limit the number of cases a plaintiff can bring within a time period. They just move on the next jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
To show you how crazy these building permits can get. A friend of mine is a well known artist and makes a living from it. He bought a place in a rural area only about an acre. He was not allowed to build an art studio. So he put it as a farm out building, which can be use as a studio. o_O

We have snails - on our property in California.

Forget about doing anything that might disturb them.

Last edited:
ADA (Fed) deals with discrimination. In CA there is also Title 24, chapter 11 which deals with accessibility. The CA code includes all the ADA standards with some additions or stricter standards. Under CA T-24, Ch. 11 one can only sue a business for up to $1,000 for all violations found. Under ADA one can sue a business for up to $4,000 for each violation found. This is what the serial plaintiffs do, sue under ADA. Most times it is a shakedown of a business. "Hey, I found 10 violations. I can sue you for $40,000 but i'll go away for $20,000. Most of the serial plaintiifs are disabled lawers who have their minions scour small businesses for violations. Most small businesses cannot aford to go to court so will settle. Those who fight find it will cost more to defend than paying the shakedown. Some jurisdictions have caught on and limit the number of cases a plaintiff can bring within a time period. They just move on the next jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I saw a article that said their are a handful of disabled people that go around find someone not in compliance and file a complaint or sue them. From what I read they can come back ever day and file a complaint till resolved. Big money maker!!
Interviewed owners say theyve never even seen the customer before. Then their there everyday. Idk those types are In it for the money and should be ashamed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a article that said their are a handful of disabled people that go around find someone not in compliance and file a complaint or sue them. From what I read they can come back ever day and file a complaint till resolved. Big money maker!!
Interviewed owners say theyve never even seen the customer before. Then their there everyday. Idk those types are In it for the money and should be ashamed!!
When I lived in Pa, there was a group of individuals that would go around to stores, and video them not being able to reach something, or having a hard time entering through a door. Then they would file law suits, and often settle before going to court.

A good friend ended up closing his family's store. A person from over 100 miles away supposedly had trouble getting stuff from a cooler. When he decided to go to court instead of settling, he suddenly had people in wheel chairs coming to the store every day, with folks along to video what was happening. 1 suit turned into 50 plus.

There has to be a balance. Public buildings need to be accessible to all. To allow someone to close a business down for a minor mistake is wrong

This thread is treading dangerously close to political IMHO.

Rules are there for a reason, great thing about democracy is if you disagree you have a process for trying to change them.

I think your main challenge is trying to save money by buying old school portable buildings. Schools don't have to comply with the same zoning and code requirements as other public accommodations so they probably weren't built to comply in the first place. As hobby machinists we are probably all familiar with how much time, effort and money it can take to make something work for a purpose it wasn't intended for.

An automobile dealer should have enough cash flow to order new manufactured offices that comply with all requirements. We all want to save money for our bosses when we can but sometimes that path leads to frustration.

The boss man can afford to pay to make it right and your only duty is to do your best until the day you retire. After that it's someone else's problem....

JMHO

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back