Trying to make a homemade EDM

ericc

Active User
Registered
Hi. I tried to make a homemade EDM. This is inspired by savarin and brino, who appear to have made some successful ones. I wanted to start with the solenoid actuated design because it is simple and it would make a good foundation for a proof of concept. The starting point was the circuit that savarin posted. I tried it out, and it did not work so well with my available components. I think that the problem is that all the charging current must go entirely through the solenoid. This results in the solenoid being engaged too much of the time, and also it restricts the total amount of power that can get into the circuit. My initial machine was able to make a hole in a 1.5 mm piece of steel sheet in about 10 hours. It was very fiddly and jammed or stuck continually. Part of the problem was the top of the shaft getting distorted where it attached to the solenoid, but even with that addressed, it still seemed kind of anemic.

One thing that really helped was changing the circuit diagram. The original diagram is posted for reference. If you run the resistor directly to the capacitor and connect the solenoid across the resistor, the operation becomes quite a bit more aggressive. In this case, the capacitor is being charged through the resistor and the solenoid in parallel instead of in series. When the voltage drop across the resistor becomes too high, presumably due to the electrode being stuck, the solenoid will actuate, pulling it free. Now the problem became that flimsy chemistry lab stand. The support rod is anchored in plastic, and the retainer screw is also threaded in the plastic. That makes it very floppy, and causes the electrode to jam in the hole once it has been drilled a bit. Still, it reduced the time to get a hole considerably. A hole appeared in 1 hour in the same piece of metal. It seems that this small change is a major improvement. The stand should probably be replaced with something custom fabricated. Even a wood setup with a piece of square tubing like savarin posted would be much more solid. Any amount of slop causes movement which wallows and binds the hole, which will be especially deleterious for tapping.

I will post a picture of the original circuit and the first prototype.1610346460338.png

Attachments

• edmprot.jpg
    edmprot.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 100
I will be watching your progress very closely. I have a CNC gantry mill that I build a long time ago that would convert very easily to EDM.

The proof of concept works, but it is just too slow. A CNC gantry mill should be really rigid in comparison to EDM requirements. Probably nothing to worry about there. I am building a more rigid frame for the mechanism to see if it helps. There is not too much on Youtube to look at. There is just that one guy with the desk lamp stand. It is clear that this is too wobbly. Maybe the problem is that the capacitor is too large and sticking causes everything to be pulled out of line. I'll need to experiment more.

I used a stepper motor and leadscrew on mine. You need really slow feed and a tiny gap! Plus, the electrode wears quite a lot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hi Weldingrod1. I am planning that when/if the next step (more sturdy frame) doesn't produce results. It seems that @savarin has good results with his setup. Maybe it is just a rigidity problem.

@ericc, I am following. Thanks for sharing this!

@Weldingrod1 , have you posted any photos (or better) a build thread?

Thanks,
-brino

I have been thinking about a sinker edm for some time. My thought was to use my CNC mill as a driver for the electrode. I have .0001 positioning capability with exquisite control over feed rates. This would remove the need for the solenoid. Thoughts?

I have been thinking about a sinker edm for some time. My thought was to use my CNC mill as a driver for the electrode. I have .0001 positioning capability with exquisite control over feed rates. This would remove the need for the solenoid. Thoughts?
The position control is far superior for energy utilization than the stupid solenoid. Much of the time with the solenoid is spent either stuck and shorted or retracted and doing nothing.

Here is my new frame to replace the chemistry ring stand. I have also rigged up a leadscrew based positioning system, which I will try later after exhausting a few more possibilities.

Hmmm. I can't seem to rotate it into a vertical orientation.

Attachments

• framedms.jpg
    framedms.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 60
I like to look at additional ways to utilize the CNC capability. So far, I have added a USB microscope for use as an optical comparator and a diode laser for low power tasks like cutting gaskets, and resist prior to chemical etching.

The CNC is a great choice because of the ability to control motion via software vs. hardware. Especially so because of using G code as the operational language. Aside from that though, it shouldn't take too much effort to combine a lead screw/stepper with an Arduino controller or the like as Weldindrod1 has done to accomplish what the solenoid is trying to do.

Mine works but I wouldnt call it fast, when I reduced the shaft inside the solonoid for a looser fit and rewound the coil to give the correct 26mh it worked much better. it does get hot so I cant run it unnattended.
I also run a little aquarium pump squirting directle at the hole.

Back