[4]

Trying to Make a V Groove

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

oskar

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I will try to make a horizontal V Groove on the stock shown in the attached pictures which will be one of the jaws for a homemade vise. I know aluminum is not a good material for a vise jaw but for a hobby use I’m sure it will be ok and it’s also a good exercise.

The stock is 0.5” x 1.5” x 5.0” and is attached to a home built Tilt Table set now at 45 degrees. The last picture show the 0.25” OD 4 flute end mill which will be used to do the cut and I will pull the stock against the end mill (I assume this will be a conventional cut).

Is this an acceptable setup?

Nicolas

Attachments

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have done similar, but with aluminum I prefer a two flute cutter and WD-40 lubricant.

David

T Bredehoft

Active User
Your set up might be more secure with a more solid bracing for the angled support. Making several small cuts, instead of one whack would be preferable, too.

homebrewed

Registered
I used a similar approach when I made some aluminum vee blocks for clamping round stock to my welding table. The end opposite the vee has a 1/2" bolt so I can raise/lower the block to accommodate different diameters. Aluminum was good in that application because it's a good conductor and welding slag won't stick to it.

4ssss

Registered
If it works then it's acceptable.

oskar

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Good ideas guys, thanks. I do have a 2 flute 0.25" end mill so I will give it a try.

pacifica

RGL
I would try to support under the tilting portion of your vice. Try not to mill a piece with air underneath . base002.jpg

[6]
[5] [7]