[Newbie] Trying to turn down a motorcycle sprocket

Wow cathead, I’ve been working on old bikes a while and haven’t seen a front sprocket looking like you describe, haha. I always replace sprockets and chain as a set but a lot of times you can get two chains per sprocket pair of you don’t let the chain go too far out of spec.

I am currently looking for a real tool post grinder, and not just my dremel setup. Not for this project though, I just ordered some basic sprockets and chain. This bike is a “minimum amount of work and money to get it running and riding to see if I want to keep it or sell it” kind of bike.

Thanks all for the replies, if I end up getting a grinder I’ll post back.

Just a thought. Look up power transmission in the Yellow pages. A place where you buy chains, sprockets, belts etc.
I like https://www.ustsubaki.com/index.html pre-stretched chain and it is cheap when bought in 30 meter rolls and there are always plenty of people who want chain. These places sell sprockets as well and a lot cheaper than the 'bike shops. Can get ready to go usually in tooth counts the 'bike salesmen say don't exist. You can buy sprockets with splines or hubs. sometimes you need to machine the mount to get just what you want but it is easier than machining the teeth. A blank sprocket has the teeth and a small hole in the centre. Machine what you want. There are a lot of different manufacturers.

Today I had time to put on the new front sprocket and replace the rear tire. The sprocket was
down to nubbins so had to take a photo of the old one along with the new one. P1020798.JPG
The drive line is all new now so should be good for quite some time. The test ride was quite pleasing
with the new sprockets, O-ring chain, new Avon tire and tube......smoooooth.....:)

Today I had time to put on the new front sprocket and replace the rear tire. The sprocket was
down to nubbins so had to take a photo of the old one along with the new one. View attachment 333523
The drive line is all new now so should be good for quite some time. The test ride was quite pleasing
with the new sprockets, O-ring chain, new Avon tire and tube......smoooooth.....:)

Whoa, that is definitely the worst sprocket I’ve seen, haha

I always replace sprockets and chain as a set but a lot of times you can get two chains per sprocket pair of you don’t let the chain go too far out of spec.
Bingo!
As soon as the chain starts to need adjustment (or any sign of rust) change it or it will start to eat the sprockets.

I would just screw sprocket to a piece of wood and attack the edge of the sprocket with an angle grinder but that's just me, its not like it is going to make it out of round or anything.
You are only trying to thin out the sprocket at the teeth aren't you?

Back