TSL change gears, or the lack thereof

I just keep thinking that this ELS project could get pretty deep into control theory, with issues like loop gain, damping, settling, response time, phase locking, you name it. I am questioning whether steppers will do this job and remove the above concerns. It's a question, not a statement. Anxious to hear about successes and not so successes.

Fair enough. The "stepper" I'm using is actually closed-loop, so the control loop is contained inside the driver. That frees up the main controller and greatly simplifies things.

That said, even with an ordinary stepper motor, I don't think it would have an issue up until near maximum speed, but that's just my opinion.

The pictures tell the story. Other than a cover over the boxes, it's done and working. Pretty sweet.

IMG_20191130_111537-640x480.jpg
IMG_20191130_111552-640x480.jpg
IMG_20191130_111612-640x480.jpg
IMG_20191130_111633-640x480.jpg

Man, that’s really terrific! It looks good mechanically, and the thread looks excellent.
Congratulations!

Are you still happy and using this, KB58? How about a review now that you've had this awhile?

Haven't used it much, been staying out of the hot garage and been making wife points on various tasks. That said, there are several things of note:

1. I played fast and loose with the wiring, using the supplied cables and not worrying about shielding, just to see how well it would work. It worked great, EXCEPT for one time. I was using the carriage feed, not threading, and after about the third pass, set up for another and notice the carriage was moving a lot faster than before. Apparently there was enough interference that it caused it to jump speed. Had I been threading, that would have been bad, and is a reminder that I need to add shielding to both the encoder and display box.

2. Clough42 now sells a front panel for his control unit:

3. Someone's come up with a way to interface to a standard touch screen. As cool as it is I do not intend to go this way; I'm just including it for completeness:

Back