• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Tungsten in 10# boxes?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
They should sell these. I figure filler rods come in 10# boxes and I dip them both in equal amounts...

Asm109

I feel your pain. I do my best Homer Simpson routine when I first start welding after a layoff. "Doh!"

arcflash

Swarf
Registered Member
That's funny, I can't stop laughing! Just make sure you are putting the tungsten into the torch not the aluminum.

kd4gij

Active User
I am sure your LWS would be happy to sell you 10lbs of tungsten. :dunno:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
i have tungsten enriched many metals, i had to buy more than a few extra electrodes when i was learning :grin:
they are called consumables for a reason! :grin big:

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
A welding session doesn't go by w/o dipping at least once or twice so, I usually have a sharpened electrode ready and nearby. LOL, the other day, I started a weld and picked-up the spare electrode instead of the filler rod which happened be the same diameter. Gee Wizzz, what is up with this filler rod that won't melt??? Duhhhh!

Ray C.

682bear

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I did discover that a sharpened 3/16 tungsten makes a wonderful tool for digging crud out of nooks and crannies on a Taft-Peirce surface grinder... but it has to be a 2% lanthanated tungsten. The others won't last very long without balling the tip...

Sorry... welding humor...

-Bear

Alan H

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I sharpened a 3/32 tungsten 4 times today. That sucker wanted to go swimming way too often.

Bob Korves

They aren't for stirring the puddle? No wonder I have trouble... ;)

[6]
[5] [7]