Turning A Ballscrew

Blackhawk

Active User
Registered
i messed up and cut a ballscrew to short, the other end is long enough to work but I've got machine it down and then thread it. Any advice?

I've read to use braised carbide?

I've also got ceramic inserts from precesiom Mathews sells. I've also got high speed steel I could use

Thanks
Lanham

The case will be in the 55-60 Rockwell C scale and is also an interrupted cut until below the ball grooves, use the ceramic inserts to get through the case, be aware that cutting non-hard steel with many ceramic tools will ruin them quickly. It will be obvious when you are nearly through the case, switch to a carbide tool at that time.

Thanks wreck, Any recommendation on speed and feed?
Difficult to say without knowing the diameter, could be anywhere between 1/4" and 3" with a ball screw.
The hard turning that I have done recently, with ceramic inserts, 1.875 diameter, 550 RPM's, .025" DOC roughing .008 IPR feed, .006 DOC finishing .004 IPR feed.

No coolant or lubricant of any kind as recommended by the insert manufacturer, also to slow on the SFM is worse then to fast, it should spark and the chip should be glowing red as it come off, remove anything that may catch on fire from the chip pan first (-:

Back