Turning A Brass Pen?

leeko

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I'd like to turn a fountain pen from mostly solid brass, and am hoping to find some pointers, or a guide for some ideas. Unfortunately. All my googling turns up is related to woodturning pens (with brass pieces in a cheap kit).

has anyone here done this? Or, can anyone point me in the direction of information related to this?

Also, if anyone can suggest a good quality nib to base the pen around, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

i would reconcider brass
unless you treat it with a clear lacquer it will turn green and will stain the fingers

Can you use one of those cheap kits, but make brass "barrels" instead of wood ones?

How about buy one of the kits, use those parts that you don't want to make and reproduce the rest of the parts in your machined barrel barrel?

Wow funny that this topic came up :)007.JPG 013.JPG 013.JPG
This is a brass pen I made over ten years ago and it has Ben through the mill LOL.
It hasn't turned green but it has gotten a cool tarnish look.
I got the idea to make it as I was using a piece of 3/8 brass for a drift, and though to myself hmmm I wonder if this will make a good pen.
a coworker and I had been making the pen & pencil sets for Christmas gifts so all I had to do was figure the size and depth to drill to.

Last edited:
Fantastic, thanks for all the ideas. Making one from the kits is a good way to do it, but I've made a bunch of kit pens in wood and I'd rather find something with a more "high-end" feeling mechanism and point , or a quality fountain pen. It's going to be a gift, and needs to be top-notch!

Again, thanks for the suggestions :)

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm a pen turner myself. Been doing it for almost 20 years! There are some vendors that sell higher end kits. I have turned a stainless steel, and aluminum pens by just drilling the material to the ID of what the brass tube is, and used the main components for the rest. There are some fantastic 'kit-less' pen makers out there. Some hang out here http://www.penturners.org/ Great group of folks.

Back