Turning a steel plate into a steel block by forge?

Koi....I found it. Always feel good when the brain cells aren’t totally burnt.

It’s called Welding the big ring.
The collection at Library of Congress. Part of a very large collection of cool videos

https://www.loc.gov/item/96522219

Here’s a collection of Westinghouse videos

Inside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904

https://www.loc.gov/collections/films-of-westinghouse-works-1904/

And here’s a cool one. Steam hammer forging.
https://www.loc.gov/item/96521990

Last edited:
Don't think I would want to pick a fight with one of those guys. I've done hard physical work all my life, but that's a whole different level. Mike

Agree to disagree.it isn't really hard to find steel block .scrapyards are available but I'm not sure whether they allow people to buy scrap metals though.But just in case I need one immediately will folding a steel plate be an option

Koi I have seen a video of a guy making an anvil out a piece of railway track, not sure where it was. Basically he cut the anvil shape out with an angle grinder and finished it with the grinder and finally a flap disk looked pretty good.

Reactions: Koi
Yes, this is possible, but difficult. The guru of anvilfire.com does not like people stealing from his site, but he has a great piece of advice in situations like this. Start small and work up. First, learn how to forge weld. This is more difficult than it sounds, and it helps to have someone who knows what he is doing. Start with a faggot weld, and move up to rings and chains. Then try steeling a tool face, like a hammer. Then, try a Viking size block anvil of a few pounds. When you are ready for the full sized anvil, assemble a team. These teammates cannot be beginners; they will have to be journeyman level.

Or, take a shortcut and use an arc welder. Stack the plates vertically. You should be able to find 1" or 2" plate in Malaysia. I realize it is a big place, but the last time I was there I ran into a buddy babysitting a platform sailing out the Straits. Oilfield stuff means big steel and big scrap.

Could you make a block by starting with a thickish plate and forging it into a block with strikes on the sides of the plate to make it shorter, narrower, and thicker?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Could you make a block by starting with a thickish plate and forging it into a block with strikes on the sides of the plate to make it shorter, narrower, and thicker?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes you can, but it's almost as difficult as forge welding it. You will need a lot of heat, and a lot of hammer swinging, unless you have a commercial size forge and a power hammer

If you really want to make your own anvil there are two ways I can recommend one is to build it by welding good sized blocks of steel together, carve it out of a suitable piece of structural steel or railway track. Railway track is very good if you can get a piece of high load mainline track, rather than the lighter suburban track stuff. numerous videos on you tube and instructables.

For large pieces of structural steel, get to know some of the contractors building high rise buildings and or bridges, they've always got off cuts that are often free or at lest very cheap.

Don't think I would want to pick a fight with one of those guys. I've done hard physical work all my life, but that's a whole different level. Mike
Totally agree. Not just a sign of brute force in the way they swing those sledgehammers.... but also like a symphony watching the choreography of their each swinging in turn. I’m amazed and in awe.

Yes, this is possible, but difficult. The guru of anvilfire.com does not like people stealing from his site, but he has a great piece of advice in situations like this. Start small and work up. First, learn how to forge weld. This is more difficult than it sounds, and it helps to have someone who knows what he is doing. Start with a faggot weld, and move up to rings and chains. Then try steeling a tool face, like a hammer. Then, try a Viking size block anvil of a few pounds. When you are ready for the full sized anvil, assemble a team. These teammates cannot be beginners; they will have to be journeyman level.

Or, take a shortcut and use an arc welder. Stack the plates vertically. You should be able to find 1" or 2" plate in Malaysia. I realize it is a big place, but the last time I was there I ran into a buddy babysitting a platform sailing out the Straits. Oilfield stuff means big steel and big scrap.
That must be somewhere in the industrial zone near the sea.I live in place that's near Singapore(a country that was one part of malaysia) a place surrounded by a few skyscrapers.

Agree to disagree.it isn't really hard to find steel block .scrapyards are available but I'm not sure whether they allow people to buy scrap metals though.But just in case I need one immediately will folding a steel plate be an option
We could agree to disagree, that fine but there is a HUGE Difference between Finding and Accessing! You could "Find" ALL the RICHES in the Entire WORLD but if you cannot Access it then what Good would it be To You!!! This is the point i believe the other member was trying to make. Its like that where i live in many cases and im in a Scrap RICH area of the good old US of A Rustbelt! Many of these recyclers just refuse to work with the little guy and choose to sell in bulk when prices are high or sit on it till it is and that can be extremely frustrating.

• Wow
Reactions: Koi
Back