Turning down a socket?

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
I have a couple of 3/4" drive, deep well, 24mm SnapON sockets that have to fit in a hole that's smaller in diameter than the sockets are.
Is there a particular insert material I would need to use to cut them down?
I have some carbide ones and I have HSS blanks that I haven't used yet.
Oh ,and cooling? / cutting fluid? It's just 2 sockets, not an on going thing.
??
thx,
Jim

They can be cut, but likely not with HSS; a harder grade of carbide like K6 Kennametal or equivalent a ceramic would do the job.

Agree with getting a cheap socket. The 12 point sockets might have a thinner wall.

Buy cheap socket, put it on the end of extension and grind to fit, I have done that....

Yep, I've done it too; get a bolt to fit the socket, chuck the bolt in a battery drill and slowly
power-rotate it as you apply it to the grinding wheel. I needed a thinner sidewall for a tight-clearance
spot, so didn't have to take down the whole socket, just the last 1/4".

Before there was ceramic we only had HSS.
Everything can be machined using HSS. Just slow down your feed and speed. Once you get passed the case hardness it will cut fine.
But I would go get a cheap socket from HF or the flea market to cut down. Just because I hate to see my Snap-on truck guy roll his eyes and cry when I modify a tool.
**G**

I have cut down non chrome plated, like black oxide finish, sockets in the lathe with carbide. Specialty tools for specific uses, never asked what, just made what they wanted. Id much rather turn one in the lathe than spin a bolt sticking through a socket against anything.

Back