Turning my garage into my little machine shop

Well a couple hours ago i decided to get up and do the last coat on the walls. Took about an hour to do a second coat where needed. I basically did the ceiling and the paneling. I am not happy with how much paint i used just for this area.
Paint comes from the store way too thick. Usage increases exponentially with thickness. (I don't know that for a scientific fact. Just my observation). The manufacturers do that so that noobs get solid coverage, and they don't get complaints. They don't mind that it uses more paint either. Add enough water for it to run like heavy milk. Not syrup.

My father was a painter. I detest the process, but will do it in a pinch.

When you do the floors, you'll probably want to run it up on those cinderblocks, too. That will help keep out moisture.

Well tonight kicked my ass. After work i started with painting the concrete block and the floor. I may get away with doing one coat on the wall. Definitely need to do two coats on the floor for the strength.
DF77FD2C-1F1A-4D5E-A5F9-5E25EA8DA08B.jpegB3FC4611-F806-4401-B28D-441F6AD827C0.jpeg140D866A-9952-4DE2-A6DF-A195809E1F2F.jpeg06B4EEED-B594-4DC2-A9E0-1A008DC27912.jpeg

I got up this morning to check the damage and see if how much of a second coat i will have to do. Looks pretty good. Floor will need a second coat for sure due to the wear it will take in general. One section i am not happy with though as it did start to peel and crack.
C41CDA9F-523E-46B2-B397-7CF95A7E4F71.jpeg
For anyone curious what epoxy paint i am using it is this.
6ABE216C-F966-4EFE-A282-12E08423297F.jpeg

I got up this morning to check the damage and see if how much of a second coat i will have to do. Looks pretty good. Floor will need a second coat for sure due to the wear it will take in general. One section i am not happy with though as it did start to peel and crack.

Any moisture in the concrete will cause peeling and cracking. And it is HARD to get all the moisture out.

Also, if you're going to put down a second coat, it needs to be done within 24hrs. Sooner if it is hot. Epoxy doesn't "dry". It "cures". Instead of a volatile chemical evaporating and leaving particals behind, epoxy is made of long molecules that interlock and bond together when you mix the two parts together. For a second coat to work, you need to get it is place while there is still molecules in the first coat that are free to lock with the second coat. If you miss the window, the second won't be able to lock into the first. You'll need to scuff sand the first, to give the second something to hold onto.

That was the only section that did it and it isnt at an immediate area to be done so i may sand that down and redo that section another time. I am doing my second coat tonight so i wont be missing the window. This isnt a 2 part Epoxy so i prob have some wiggle room to do the second coat but still is the plan to do tonight.

Thanks Brino. Update coming once i get settled in for the last hour or so of my night.

Back