Turret for a benchtop lathe

The All Speed drive is silent except for the whirling sound of the belts. If the cabinet door is closed there's almost no noise. The service manual suggests running it through the full speed range on a daily basis. I've found if you don't errant grime seems to build up on the inner surfaces of the sheaves. When that happens, the speeds are harder to adjust to an exact number. Now before I try to turn anything I run it through the speed range. It takes less than 30 seconds to go from one extreme to the other and back.

The All Speed drive is silent except for the whirling sound of the belts. If the cabinet door is closed there's almost no noise. The service manual suggests running it through the full speed range on a daily basis. I've found if you don't errant grime seems to build up on the inner surfaces of the sheaves. When that happens, the speeds are harder to adjust to an exact number. Now before I try to turn anything I run it through the speed range. It takes less than 30 seconds to go from one extreme to the other and back.
Brings to mind a drill press that I bought new, a USA brand with a Reeves drive, the word (squeaky) defined it ---

Brings to mind a drill press that I bought new, a USA brand with a Reeves drive, the word (squeaky) defined it ---
I have an older (circa 1980) Jet drill press with the Reeves drive. It works fine but as you mentioned it's squeaky. The Sheldon lathe is considerably quieter. If the Jet was a 7 on a 1-10 scale the Sheldon would be a 1.

Here's a couple pictures of one like mine.

Attachments

• s-l1601.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 5
  • s-l1603.jpg
    s-l1603.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 5
I've seen people cut small threads (M10) in brass at 1500-3000 RPM on a CNC lathe in 10 passes with a polished aluminum full-profile insert. That would be about 0.024" deep , so about 0.0024 per cut. In my case, it was about 0.028" deep but using medium hard O-1 at very low surface footage. The tool was made in the shop, single-point, solid carbide, with slightly positive geometry. First few cuts are 0.005 but a bunch of cuts are 0.001 and several spring passes. The cut sounded fine and chips were curling off the tool. Blondihacks and others have pointed out that a bunch of passes are needed on hobby equipment. How many passes would you take? What lathe?

Here's an example where the guy makes a part out of aluminum, cutting the threads in 10 passes. Then he cuts the same part in mystery steel---from the chips it looks like mild steel. Takes 21 passes.

Also, speaking of turrets, this Intelitek has a small 4-position unit.

I've seen some tool-post replacements that look like this. They seem to be more available than the horizontal units I originally was looking for.

1688760846189.png

so you are watching a beginners video, and deriving that this is the standard. Don't, take it for what it is: A beginner learning.
You need to watch other videos as this was someone learning, not what I would call efficient operation.
even manually I take bigger chunks than that. And on Aluminum some cutting fluid needs to be present to prevent chip welding.

so you are watching a beginners video, and deriving that this is the standard. Don't, take it for what it is: A beginner learning.
You need to watch other videos as this was someone learning, not what I would call efficient operation.
even manually I take bigger chunks than that. And on Aluminum some cutting fluid needs to be present to prevent chip welding.

If you know of a good video, post it here.

8 sfm? Why are you turning it so slow? Between that and the really shallow passes, no wonder it takes 2 hours. I don’t recall what depth of cut I used on my 9x20, for a thread like that I was probably a maximum of 10 passes. I have a 12x36 now and most threads I use 5-6 passes and then a final spring pass to clean things up once I reach the pitch diameter.

For the turret, the only ones I have seen are custom built, so you are most likely will need to build it yourself to fit your lathe. It might be easier to do gang tooling instead of the turret.

Back