Tweeting an old Stryco band saw blade welder.

Woodfab

Registered
Registered
I always hated paying for band saw blades so I bought this old Stryco band saw blade welder.
I remember the blade welder I used in a shop that did a perfect weld every time.
Paid $200, it had poor instructions and due to ware had weld alinement problems.
I finally got it alined and producing a great weld.
It's so gratifying to be able to make blades for $5 each.

Attachments

• STRYCO.jpg
    STRYCO.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 17
Nice to have that grinding wheel with what appears to be a guide built in.
I have a big old Stryco without these features.

I received the 3" wheel spacers for my Kubota. Excited, I grabbed my tools and spacers and drove 1.5 hours to our lot in Oceanside where the tractor resides and we prepare to build our retirement home.
Wheel Spacer.jpgI should have checked my 22mm socket in the spacer first, but never thought it wouldn't fit. It didn't. Not an entirely wasted trip, but I learned a valuable lesson. When I returned home, I ordered the thinnest walled 22mm deep socket I could find. It showed up on my doorstep this morning, and while closer, the OD was too big to fit.

Keep in mind, I'm a novice at turning, but had prepared myself that I might have to turn down the socket to fit. I used this carbide tool on my Colchester master 6.5. There's a picture of the business end in the next photo. I tested it on some scrap before taking it to the socket and it performed fine, but not great.Carbide Tool.jpg I chucked up the socket to remove the necessary .075". I got it done, but it was painful and the finished product is embarrassing. It fits and hopefully won't break when I torque the spacers to spec. I think I'll be fine. I've read posts before about members turning chrome tools and it was difficult, but I don't remember what was discussed to make it better. My lathe max RPM is 1,000 and that's what I used, and fed by hand. Lots of heat and a rats nest. I played with DOC between .005 and .010, and it didn't seem to make much difference. I made several passes and tried a .002 finish pass. It fits fine with the slightest, I'm guessing a thou or two clearance, that I hope will be enough to fit onto the lug nuts.Rat Nest.jpg I'm a little surprised the spacer manufacturer didn't say anything about a special socket, but I'll email them to see what they say. I doubt I'm the first person to experience this. Their machine work is excellent. Finished Socket.jpgThanks for looking and your suggestions.

hard to tell by that pic, but that socket looks dangerously thin walled at the peaks.
would it have paid to take a little off the socket and a little off the adapter?
Or was there a chance of dropping to 21mm by removing some of the hex??

just thinking. good luck on torqueing, not twerking ;)

hard to tell by that pic, but that socket looks dangerously thin walled at the peaks.
would it have paid to take a little off the socket and a little off the adapter?
Or was there a chance of dropping to 21mm by removing some of the hex??

just thinking. good luck on torqueing, not twerking ;)

I took .054" off the OD to get it to fit. The wall thickness at the peaks is about .050". I hope to try them next weekend, and I'll report back.

Rats, I just noticed that I posted my project of the day on top of woodfab's post instead of creating a new one. If a moderator sees fit, please move my post. Sorry, everyone!

Blue Chips?
I was confused why this went so far off topic!
Also known a hijacking!
Okay, by mistake, Let's start over.

Last edited:
Back