Unfamiliar with this system

Wait, we need to know about your job as a blacksmith.

It’s 2024, and you can’t really be Amish. How old are you ?

As we say on the internet, pictures or it didn’t happen.

John
No, I'm not Amish. I've almost completed my 70th trip around the sun (but I keep ending up back in the same place...). I do large public art sculptures (forged and fabricated). As the arthritis catches up with me I'm finding that I need to make more tools to assist with projects that in my younger and dumber days (as opposed to my older and dumber days) I simply used the "heat, beat, and repeat" approach. I'm finding that precision (ie, < 1/16" and more/less square) may be helpful in keeping large, hot, sharp objects from flying across my shop at high speed.

Welcome!

Way back when that South Bend 10 lathe was manufactured South Bend put out a book to teach people that have never touched a lathe how to run a lathe. It is considered the standard for people wanting to learn.

I highly recommend you download a copy and read through it.

I learned a ton from this book when I bought my South Bend 13 lathe. The information is pertinent to any lathe... but they specifically use our lathes as examples.
Thank you!

It's a SB Heavy 10. If the threaded spindle nose is slightly over 2" diameter, it's a Heavy 10L (large). I love mine, a damn fine lathe. You lucked into a great starter machine.
Ok- I'm going to head out with my trusty tape measure (the one with most of the numbers burned off) and measure the spindle.Thanks!!

Please forgive me, but this is my very first experience with any type of computer "forum". If I violate any rules, please know that it was only due to my ignorance and certainly not intentional! I am a complete beginner to any kind of machining (an aging blacksmith by trade). I recently got an old SouthBend 10 inch lathe(I know this because it says so on the side...). I am fumbling my way through books and "YouTube" videos trying to learn enough to keep from killing myself and family members (actually, I haven't plugged it in yet). I have so many questions, but right now I'm trying to figure out what type of lathe this is. From the attached picture you can see that it only has a single "lever" (?) in the front that seems to correspond to holes underneath it along with a chart that refers to some mysterious "sliding gears" and "back gears". In any event, from other pictures I've seen of SouthBend 10" lathes (I'm not pretending here to know what the " 10 inch" refers to, as this one seems to be much longer...), there appears to be two such levers where I only have one. Did one of mine fall off, or is it a different kind of lathe? Thank you for your kind patience with an old guy!
Welcome to the forum...

Thank you! As a newbie, I think I'm not supposed to post links here. However, my business name is Vinewoods Forge. If you find yourself on my website, I'm the guy with the "Finger in the electric socket" hair style.
Very nice work.

Since I doubt you'll be trying to sell any of this beautiful artwork on here I'll post the link.

Of course if I win the lottery I might commission something ;) . Have always wanted to do artwork with metal but would need to become an artist first.

John

Very nice work.

Since I doubt you'll be trying to sell any of this beautiful artwork on here I'll post the link.

Of course if I win the lottery I might commission something ;) . Have always wanted to do artwork with metal but would need to become an artist first.

John
Thank you so much!! I am quite honored!

Welcome from (near) Hershey, Rob!

Back