Unimat DB200 Spindle - High-Pitched Sound After Rebuild

ajherhold

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all!

I just finished pulling apart, cleaning, and re-greasing my Unimat DB200 headstock spindle, and now when I run it, I'm getting a high-pitched sound coming out of the chuck side.

I followed instructions and put everything back in order, re-greased the bearings (SuperLube), etc. and don't know why it would be making this sound (the sound was not present before rebuilding). The sound gets louder when I tighten the lock nut any more than hand tight.

I'm wondering if this might be an issue with the bearings and races OR maybe the preload washers not doing their job? Maybe too much grease in the bearings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony

I think I should also note that when disassembling the lathe, I appear to be missing (?) this washer (image below). Not sure if this was present on some lathes and not others, but wanted to make a note.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.jpeg
    IMG_7076.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Since you kept the original bearings I can't think there is anything wrong except maybe you used too thick a grease?
Although I can't see how that would hurt anything
My DB hasn't been oiled for decades- still works fine as far as I can tell. Probably a light oil is all they need once in a while
(like every few decades LOL)

It might be you have over tightened everything. Try loosening it up some. If noise gets less you are moving in the right direction. Just my 2 cents.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Don't know what a DB is but the washer you are "missing" looks like part of a thrust bearing assembly, which is usually 3 peices. See if you can find a picture of the correct part number thrust bearing and compare.

Unless I’m mistaken, I think the OP, is referring to the inner race, of the thrust bearing , at least by the picture.

A howl is unusual, unless you are too tight, under lubricated and /or running at the highest spindle speed .
10 or 20 wt non detergent motor oil should be sufficient.
Some folks use grease in the application

I would lean towards the 20wt non detergent oil

Back