Unimat milling table

DB or SL?
While the table for an SL may be bigger, I don't know, the one for a DB-200 is roughly 2 X 3 inches. Metric in actuality, it is about that footprint. I had a DB-200 for many years and collected many loose pieces for it. When I acquired a larger machine(9X19) I sold the UniMat to another modeler. I gave him enough parts to learn machining but kept many of the more esoteric parts for future use. The milling table was one of those kept. I haven't had a real need for it, I have a couple of small mills, but it's on hand if I ever do.

its an edelman? iron from the 50s. most underpowered device ever built. stop it with your thumb

My first one was acquired from a pawn shop in 1969. A DB-200, it was an "Edelstal" UniMat. Manufactured in Austria. I always assumed it dated from around ~1960, but that is just an assumption. It had steel way rods, most of the rest was ZAMAK, including the gears. The pulleys and hand wheels were aluminium. It went around the world with me a couple of times, Antarctica over the Pacific. The first couple of years were spent learning how to use the machine. After that, it didn't get used much, just when I needed a lathe for small work.

It was not a powerful machine but suitable for small, non-ferrous work. (mostly brass) I'm sure it could have been stalled by hand, I never tried. I didn't get the riser column when I bought it, so it was just a lathe for me. The functions for a mill and hand drill and such were advertised but never accessed. I had it for 20+ years, it always did what I asked of it, accepting the limitations of size.

Last edited:
I just cannot understand what they were thinking. They had to design a special motor with virtually zero power to run it, when the planet was awash in sewing machine motors that put out 10 times the power. If i ever decide to do something worth doing, the first project is a 750w sewing machine motor. When i got it it came with a 3/8 brass rod in the chuck. It appears that several times people have turned on it. i doubt anything else was ever done on it. I let my brother use it to turn a shoulder off an aluminum fitting and it failed, the chuck could not holt it solid enough to turn aluminum. So, if step one happens step 2 is a real chuck of some description.

Back