Universal D-bit grinder (Deckel clone) spindle question

Sounds like a good choice. I'm happy with the Shars unit. I made some minor mods to make it better, like swapping in Kipp levers, marking the angle scales for graduations at small negative angles, and installing a center pivot point indicator in the horizontal plane. Not much more than that is needed, except for extra arbors and Norton wheels. It's a good machine and the seller is easy to contact if support is needed.

I contacted the seller to see if we can come to some kind of understanding. I don't have much of a leg to stand on because I purchased it 8 months ago, completely disassembled the machine, and then started complaining.
Good luck with that. I’ve never had the guts to go try and find the owners who burned me. Figured it was a lesson. I would repurpose it.

I was glad the first guy who had one just like yours talked me out of it after asking me what I wanted to do with it. Hard to get around those little original collets.

This could be a problem for some....BUT this is a machinist site!
Make an adapter finish the important features on the machine to insure the accuracy you desire.
OR move to a wheel you can dress.

I have the Shars unit. I'm happy with it.
I haven't used it much but I am able to sharpen 2-3 flute end mills. It's very satisfying to take a dull end mill and give it a sharp edge. I haven't tried the flutes yet. It can and will be done, some day.
I thought all these clones had the tapered spindle.
The best thing is to mount each wheel to it's own adapter, finger tight the wheel if there is radial movement (machine off) and see if you can tap the wheel to find the sweet spot, tighten and leave it alone.
My 2 cents.

The new unit is on the truck. I got 6 wheel adapters and a few additional wheels. It would be best to have a cutoff, face, and OD wheel in diamond and CBN. Rob Renzetti says the 600-grid diamond face wheel is the most important wheel. Anyone know where to buy?

The seller doesn't want my straight-arbor machine back. Made some excuses. Even if they let me return it, I'd be out for the tooling I already purchased. The return would cost 200 $ in freight, I would need to get it boxed up, and in the end, I'd be at their mercy. Maybe I'd be better off with it on my bench.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Back