VN Universal High Speed On Ebay

Yes, pretty cool!
At 1/5 the price she'd be a good purchase.
I'm watching.
If somebody here scores her, please let me know.
I'd really like to take some measurements.

Daryl
MN

I doubt it will sell at $500, especially in the condition it's in. I may try to low ball them after the auction ends, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jason

Jason, if you score her, then please let me know.
Especially as you are geographically close.
However, silly it seems I'm hoping to make one this summer.
Would you mind if I dropped in with a camera and a micrometer?
My VN6 is super accurate.
The high speed aspect would be a great help in making her a great tool makers mill!

Daryl
MN

How is it driven? I see nothing in that hole that engages with the mill. What am I missing?

There's an arbor that goes from the spindle into the input side of the subhead. It's missing from the auction. You can see the female side of the input shaft in pic 5.

Could be an easy fix, or a boat anchor, depending on what shape the gears are in.

Jason

The fact that the seller writes it doesn't turn is worrisome.
Could be dried grease, or worse, much worse.
Seems to me that the best option is to plan that it is the core for a major rebuild or a pattern for making one from.
I'm interested in both options.
But, not at that price.
I wonder what the tolerances were when new?
Runout etc.

Daryl
MN

Been thinking about this all day. Really don't want to spend that much for a possible boat anchor, but we may not see one again for a long time.

This could be a simple fix, or a several thousand dollar project.

Jason

All true!
If you decide to score her, hopefully, you might consider allowing someone to draw up some carefully measured prints.

Daryl
MN

I emailed them as the auction ends soon, and the reply said they are not going to discount the item that much so soon.

Maybe I'll here from them in a month when it's still for sale.

Jason

Back