Unknown Maker Lathe

papermaker

Active User
Registered
Here is a picture of the first lathe I bought from a co-worker. No marking on it except for a "1" punched into the ways near the tailstock and under the headstock cast into it is a tag that says "Trade School" Any older machinist have any ideas.

20130315_164500_resized_1.jpg

Not sure what lathe it is but it's pretty cool. I like the oil reservoirs on the spindle bearings..

Thanks for the compliments! I did research lathe.com and didnt find anything close to it. It is very finicky about changes in temperature. It requires constant adjustment in the bear caps. Too tight it seazes and too loose you get lots of chatter. But if you're looking to remove a lot of material it will do it.

I suppose it's possible that it was a trade school project. That might explain why the apron looks like it was made from plate rather than cast. The headstock oiling arrangement and the bearing caps look a lot like a Myford 7 but the rest of it, not so much. Don't know what it it but it looks pretty nice. The headstock bearings may be a bit on the small size which explains the overheating issues.

Ed T, That's what I was thinking. I need to pull the spindle and get everything cleaned up so I can Plastigage the bearings to see just how tight it really is. Then I can shim the bearing caps to see if that helps. Unless someone has a better thought!

I have an old lathe in the shop that my son was given last year that looks very much like this one. The bed looks like it may be about 14 inch turn by 48 inches long. The rest is all in a pile in the corner. Lots of broken handles ( all cast) and a few teeth missing on the gears. The cross slide is missing but we were going to try and build something that would work if we cannot find a replacement. Cannot find anyone that knows anything about this lathe. Have not spent much time looking for a name or serial number. If I can find something I will post here.

Back