Unknown/odd caliper

Sorry if that threw you for a loop, archaea is used in biology more widely than it is used for its literal Greek meaning, ancient things.

Used in a sentence, "In a world of disposable inserts and digital displays, calipers have been relegated to archaea by hobby machinists." :abnornal:

I have a number of old calipers and dividers, mostly Starrett, but some others, and I also use them quite a lot.
No, you can't directly read thousands, but they're for transferring measurements, from where you can't or don't want to reach.
Anyone use a hermaphrodite divider, for example? Actually a pretty handy thing for scribing a measurement in from an edge.
They all are far from archaea, for me anyway.............. OTOH, I have been called a dinosaur, a couple times.

If I've got the Dykem out, you can bet that I have dividers out with it. Center finding, offset traces, hole patterns... I guess I should take pics of my stylus and clay tablet. It's hanging on a peg next to my trammel points and plumb bob. And my Ti-89 calculator.

I have to add that none of these tools will share my personal information with their "business partners" or track my shop behavior. So there's that, at least.

Last edited:
If I've got the Dykem out, you can bet that I have dividers out with it. Center finding, offset traces, hole patterns... I guess I should take pics of my stylus and clay tablet. It's hanging on a peg next to my trammel points and plumb bob. And my Ti-89 calculator.

I have to add that none of these tools will share my personal information with their "business partners" or track my shop behavior. So there's that, at least.
TI-89?! Commie! You've got nothing on my HP48SX... ;-)

Care to re-write that in reverse Polish notation?

I am faster with a Ti-86, but the 89 does math the same way I write it- to calculus and beyond!

Care to re-write that in reverse Polish notation?

I am faster with a Ti-86, but the 89 does math the same way I write it- to calculus and beyond!
Sure.

(Commiep (has-something? *TI-89-user* *HP48SX*))

I also program LISP - the two go together quite well...

The way I want to write it!

I use an HP48G emulator on my dumbfone, only because the HP48S emulator seems to have disappeared. (HP made some stupid (imo) changes between those generations.

To differential equations and beyond! (Not that there's much beyond DE, just alternate paths...)

Sorry if that threw you for a loop, archaea is used in biology more widely than it is used for its literal Greek meaning, ancient things.

Used in a sentence, "In a world of disposable inserts and digital displays, calipers have been relegated to archaea by hobby machinists." :abnornal:
Thanks for the Greek reference John. As an old s##t pusher I immediately thought of single celled organisms but trying to decipher some of your witticisms makes my brain hurt. Is that a good thing?
John.

Thanks for the Greek reference John. As an old s##t pusher I immediately thought of single celled organisms but trying to decipher some of your witticisms makes my brain hurt. Is that a good thing?
John.

I think that it reinforces the fact that for me, the best show in the universe is the one that I watch on the backs of my eyelids.

I have a number of old calipers and dividers, mostly Starrett, but some others, and I also use them quite a lot.
No, you can't directly read thousands, but they're for transferring measurements, from where you can't or don't want to reach.
Anyone use a hermaphrodite divider, for example? Actually a pretty handy thing for scribing a measurement in from an edge.
They all are far from archaea, for me anyway.............. OTOH, I have been called a dinosaur, a couple times.
Yes, I have a collection of Hermaphrodite calipers. They are great for quick layout of parts.

Back