Unknown Sheldon

Lombano

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

I'm new to the form. I have a Sheldon lathe I'm starting to rehab so I can use it. I'm guessing it will be good to know the year to get manuals etc. I couldn't find one on the machine. Just this tag.

Any help appreciated20201111_103028_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• Message_1604945327387.jpg
    Message_1604945327387.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39
I would assume it has a serial number on the bed ways like most lathes. That would certainly help.

I found this. How do I look it up?

Attachments

• 1605140364-picsay.jpg
    1605140364-picsay.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 30
Mid 40's for sure with that #.

Twenty something years ago I had that same lathe. I had the original owners manual for it at the time and if I remember correctly, mine was built in 1946. You may find some useful info here:

Ted

Thank you for the information.

From what I read it is the 10 inch with the U drive system. 56 bed length.

next I want to work on the motor and forward/reverse switch. Right now it’s set up for 110, but only wired so that putting it in reverse runs it forward (counter clockwise) the forward in the switch is not wired.

is this forum the right place to ask about how to remedy this? Or the electric forum?

There is a Sheldon Lathe Group site. There is a wealth of information available on all types and models of the machines they built. One of the moderators is John Knox who was a design engineer for Sheldon from the late 1950's to the late 1980's., He has all the information you could need.

In addition there are manuals, prints, and other information available.

Back