Unusable Boring Head?

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was given this older Criterion boring head and I think it's just too large for my Rockwell 21-100 mill. It says Criterion Beverly Hills on the side of it. I don't have it in front of me to measure but I think it holds a 1" tool shank. I've not used a boring head before but could see needing one down the road, a smaller one however like the 202-8024 kit from Shars. Here's a picture of it, curious to see what you all think. -John

image_50734849.JPGimage_50734593.JPG

that's a big boring head. You can turn the shank down, and make an output adapter. But I probably would go for a smaller head. The reason is the smaller head will allow you to fit in 4 places a bar. Yes, that's important to me, I have already used all of them. It may or may not be important to you, but when you need it...

EDIT: I would avoid the dedicated R8 shank (shars), unless it is removeable. These are valuable in the tailstock of your lathe for taper turning, and in the spindle of your lathe as well. You may also want to use it elsewhere, and if the R8 is integral, it may make it stiffer, but be less useful. JUST MY OPINION..

Reactions: JRT
That’s all excellent information. I thought of the multiple holes but not about the shank or the use of it in the lathe. Thanks for that. I guess I’ll sell this one maybe. -John

That’s all excellent information. I thought of the multiple holes but not about the shank or the use of it in the lathe. Thanks for that. I guess I’ll sell this one maybe. -John
You'll get a few bucks for it if you do. It seems like the smaller single-hole Criterion heads are in less demand; plenty on eBay usually, and at good prices. Try to get one drilled for 3/8" tooling.

I have a Yuasa boring head that I like using. The Enco units (without automatic facing) are French made and pretty nice too.

I have 1/2" and I find it good.
From a center point for the lathe.
But also in taking my spent 1/2 end mills and grinding them for boring bars for the head. Makes a good aluminum cutter. Although I did have to fill the flutes of the end mill with JB weld, as the chips would start to wind around the end mill. So filling it resolved that, and it cuts like a nice tool.
pics on demand.

I have a "huge" ~4.5" diameter boring head that I use in a similar sized mill and I like it quite a bit. I have a couple smaller boring heads too, so it's not a complete solution, but for large boring its mass and inertia are great. Mine has a dedicated R8 shank.

GsT

That big boring head can absorb a lot of chatter and produce a great finish. I use my 1” often. The problem I have with them is once all that weight moves too far away from center it can be tough on everything. You have to keep adjusting spindle speed to find the harmonic sweet spot. The half inch heads are certainly more versatile but the heavy’s can serve you well also.

What boring bar do you use in yours and what mill do you use it with? My mill isn’t tiny but it’s not a Bridgeport either. I was given it so maybe I’ll just keep it.

I think your mill is like mine, but a little bigger. I only have an MT2, and I think you have an R8.

I have this one and really like it

My machine is an Excello so it’s got some mass. I get what you are concerned about. If I were you I’d keep it. I bet you would find you really like it on holes over 1.25”. The big head will still be pretty much on center and it can do some good work for you. You can also buy reduced shank bars for smaller diameter holes.

Back