Unusual cloud

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Took this pic late yesterday. Had the dogs out under the apple tree in the front yard, (the younger one likes to eat the windfall apples), looked up and saw this to the east. I don't recall ever seeing a cloud with a halo before. The vertical development was so fast it was a little unsettling.CloudSm10-1-14.jpg

CloudSm10-1-14.jpg

That's interesting for sure. I wonder what kind of wind current pushed a cloud up like that.

Very unusual. I'll be checking back later to see if some knowledgeable members might have some explanation for that phenomenon. :thinking:

that was Me I was cutting threads on the lathe and started at the wrong point that is the top of my head going up in the air through the cloud, sorry I will try to pay more attention
wouldn't think you could have seen that from here:whiteflag:

Cool looking clouds but I think it was actually a UFO leaving orbit after collecting data about the state of hobby machining on planet earth. :thinking:
Dave

I believe this is the result of a very rapidly developing - HOT and moist - cumulonimbus reaching a much colder layer. I've seen lenticular clouds, but they are much more stable than this was. The entire event lasted just a few seconds, long enough to snap 3 cell pics, and then the "halo" was gone. I think the downflow of very cold air about the perimeter of the hot thunderhead actually generated snow at that altitude. The low angle of sunlight really lit up the halo. I've flown near the perimeter of thunderheads at 12,000 feet AGL and experienced incredible lift on the warm side, and enough downflow in the cold air drop to cause a prudent departure from the area. Lots of power in these babies.:shocked:

As long as there was no flash of light and a loud boom you should be ok.:lmao:

That is an amazing photo! Thanks a ton for sharing it here!!

I have always been amazed by odd weather formations, and I am particularly grateful when someone shares a rare find.

Back