Unusual Craftsman lathe - flat ways and no lead screw - who made it?

lancew

Registered
Registered
Here is an unusual Craftsman lathe I have never seen another one like. It is like a "grown up" jeweler's lathe with no lead screw, just a short slide (looks like about 5" of travel) to take care of longitudinal machining. The length is attractive, just shy of 4 feet. Does anyone know who made it? I see no back gears, I am assuming it probably had a countershaft and motor to expand the speed range.

Attachments

• Craftsman lathe.jpg
    Craftsman lathe.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 135
It's a Craftsman "Universal" lathe as advertised in the 1936 Craftsman & Companion power tools catalog. The options included a carriage with cross slide, and a lead screw. Note there are 2 holes at each end of the bed for mounting a lead screw. There were other options like a set of change gears, face plate, and a speed reducing counter shaft along with many others

Awesome information everybody. I am glad I registered on the forum. I have taken a 10 year hiatus from metal working (I did automotive for 9 years of it, spent my spare time staying up to date on the cars. Time to get another bench lathe again to play with, and I liked the distance between centers on that lathe so it was attractive to me.

Welcome aboard, Lance! This is a great place. There are no dumb questions so ask anything.

The irritable Grumpy Guy

An interesting unit but a bit primitive by today's standards. Heck, even by 1950s standards. If you are serious about machining I would hold out for something a little newer and with better features, like a 618, or a South Bend or Logan. Backgears and leadscrew + change gear set at a minimum
Mark

An interesting unit but a bit primitive by today's standards. Heck, even by 1950s standards. If you are serious about machining I would hold out for something a little newer and with better features, like a 618, or a South Bend or Logan. Backgears and leadscrew + change gear set at a minimum
Mark
The machine may be primitive by todays standards, but keep in mind it was being sold during the depth of the depression. The basic machine sold for $32.50. The carriage and rack were another $12.95. The lead screw and change gears were also $12.95 while the counter shaft listed for $11.95. Among the other options available was a "metal turning kit" which consisted of 2 dead centers, a tool holder, 2 tool bits, a lathe dog and 6" face plate for $5.95. In those days there was very little "disposable income" so people bought only the options they needed.

For a few years I had a 1939 Sears "Companion" brand 6"x28" lathe. At the time Companion was Sears "value line". The basic machine sold for $13.95. With all the metal turning accessories like the face plate, 3 jaw chuck , speed reducing jack shaft, dead centers, drill chuck , tool post and tooling, and sanding disk added another $10.75. The intention was to give it to my nephews. Dad said yeas, but mom said no. Since that didn't work out as planned I gave it to another young guy who wanted to try to get into the metal turning hobby without breaking the bank.

Back