Updated Edge Finder Function - New TouchDRO Video (and new build)

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi Folks,
I've spent the last two weeks gutting and redoing the "Indicate Workpiece" function. The new build is currently in "Alpha". I will let it bake there for a few days, and if things don't catch fire, will make it public.

If you're not familiar with it, this function takes care of finding part edge, centerline, or hole center. It works with a standard edge finder or a touch probe.

Here is a new YouTube video that covers this function.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback.

Thank you
Yuriy

Hi Folks,
I've spent the last two weeks gutting and redoing the "Indicate Workpiece" function. The new build is currently in "Alpha". I will let it bake there for a few days, and if things don't catch fire, will make it public.

If you're not familiar with it, this function takes care of finding part edge, centerline, or hole center. It works with a standard edge finder or a touch probe.

Here is a new YouTube video that covers this function.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback.

Thank you
Yuriy
Thanks for the update & video, Yuriy. I second @Inferno 's desire for getting a probe: could you share info on the probe you use?

Charlie

Looks like a "Drewtronics"
Looks like it.
Funny thing. When I search for it, I see it's a little over $150.
There are Chinese versions less than $10.
I bet someone has done a side by side comparison somewhere.
I can see not wanting to buy Chinese or only buying American but that difference is HUGE. (I don't know where Drewtronics probes are made)

Looks like it.
Funny thing. When I search for it, I see it's a little over $150.
There are Chinese versions less than $10.
I bet someone has done a side by side comparison somewhere.
I can see not wanting to buy Chinese or only buying American but that difference is HUGE. (I don't know where Drewtronics probes are made)
Thanks, @buffdan !

@Inferno : the Low cost Chinese edge finders rely on completing a circuit between the body of the probe and the tip via a metal part through the mill structure, which doesn’t work on some hobby mills with plastic gears or cog belts. They also don’t have an output, just a built in LED & beep.

There are Chinese versions that appear to have an output, but the probes only have over travel around 0.16” vs, the 0.25 that the DrewTronics version (made in USA). Also, the DrewTronics is normally closed vs. normally open circuitry - I assume that TouchDRO can accept either.

Thanks, @buffdan !

@Inferno : the Low cost Chinese edge finders rely on completing a circuit between the body of the probe and the tip via a metal part through the mill structure, which doesn’t work on some hobby mills with plastic gears or cog belts. They also don’t have an output, just a built in LED & beep.

There are Chinese versions that appear to have an output, but the probes only have over travel around 0.16” vs, the 0.25 that the DrewTronics version (made in USA). Also, the DrewTronics is normally closed vs. normally open circuitry - I assume that TouchDRO can accept either.
The $10 one I saw had an output.
Like I said, I'd like to see a side by side comparison.

The $10 one I saw had an output.
Like I said, I'd like to see a side by side comparison.
I have a box of these, ranging from "$10" (really, $60) to $300. The two I use are DrewTronics and SlavTech.
Almost all "hobby" grade probes use the design with three mechanical connections (a dowel pin makes contact between two balls). As far as I know, this is an old Reneshaw design that is now out of patent protection.

DrewTronics probe is very simple - a resistor and an LED, that lights up when the circuit is opened. SlavTech has some circuitry, but works on the same principle. Both give me repeatability under 0.001" (I have "alarm" set to 8 microns, and rarely see the warning). Both are very well made. I talked to both owners (Andrew for Drewtronics, Slavomir for SlavTech) and they both were knowledgeable and responsive.

I don't know about $10, but Chinese probes in the $80 range (that I own) are "OK" if you get lucky. Cheaper parts, a bit slippy built, etc. but mostly functional if you get a good one. Out ot 5 Chinese units I have, one was dead on arrival (missing solder joint on the connector; an easy fix), and one has weird "jitter". The contact spacing is uneven, so the stylus doesn't make solid contact. Repeatability is a bit worse (I often get 0.0016" spread on the "best" one).

As far as side-by-side comparison goes:
  • DrewTronics - made in the USA by a small business, and is objectively better quality than the Chinese probes I own. Has warranty, and the owner of the company picks up his phone and talks to you when you call.
  • SlavTech - made in EU by a small business. Quality and "presentation" about the same (I like the connector and longer cable, but the body is not anodized). The owner answered my email right away when I had questions.
  • $10 Chinese probe - haven't tried
  • $80-ish eBay probe - made in China, QA doesn't exist, works if you get lucky. Support for the two that had problems was along the lines "please send pictures; please send a video; there is no problem; you're just using it wrong; send it back to China and we will look at it; please remove the negative feedback and we will give you $5; please close the eBay case and we will refund you."
On a personal note, I get questions along the lines of "why do you charge $130 for your DIY DRO adapter; I can get a whole unit from China for $80" almost daily. The short answer is "Because I don't use slave labor, Chinese government is not subsidizing me, I've spent a lot of time and money on R&D, I pay for good quality parts and assembly, I inspect and test each board, and I stand behind my product".
I suspect the answer to your question about $10 Chinese probe, vs. DrewTronics is about the same.
Whether or not it's worth the difference in price, is a personal question.

Regards
Yuriy

P.S. I am not affiliated with either company, and bought both probes for full price.

Back