UPGRADE TIME!!!

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
This time next week I will be liquid enough to upgrade my mill.
Pictured below is my current micro mill, my current vice, (absolute POS ever invented), and my current rotary table, (not very good).
As I have stated in previous posts, the bottom of the overhead joists in my basement are at 79". So shorter height is necessary.
Right now I am looking to pull the trigger on the Grizzly G0678 8x30 knee mill. I really like the weight and rigidness of a mill in that size and price range.
You are welcome to sway me otherwise.
Vice - I am open to all recommendations for a new vice.
Rotarty table - again, I'm open to all recommendations for a new rotary table. The main thing I do not like about my current rotary table is that I have to use two hands with it. One hand turns the dial that turns the table. The other hand holds a screw driver to the "gib" screw that sets the tightness of the turning. If it's too loose the the bit kicks like craze and even turns the table in reverse. If it's too tight then it's impossible to turn the table. It's a real PITA to use this table. I want something much smoother and easier to operate.
Anyways, let me know what you all think or advise. I am gathering info on all the above equipment this week and pulling the trigger next week. Very excited.

One more thing... a DRO. Glass or magnetic? Brand?

Attachments

• 2B73BF51-62AF-41C6-AFE1-9C805F43C67A.jpeg
    2B73BF51-62AF-41C6-AFE1-9C805F43C67A.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1B358CF8-2E66-4CB9-BC0F-9E08C89103D0.jpeg
    1B358CF8-2E66-4CB9-BC0F-9E08C89103D0.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5E45FCCE-484F-4AAE-85A2-84F16AA2412F.jpeg
    5E45FCCE-484F-4AAE-85A2-84F16AA2412F.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
When using a rotary table for real-time milling, remember to take the table backlash into account. You want to avoid "climb cutting"
Light duty tables are not really built for that kind of use, they intend for you to lock the table during cutting/drilling- static use
-Mark

I have the fixed speed (older) brethren of that a G0730. It is a fine Mill for its price range. I am very happy with mine.
You are paying a bit over $500 more than before the Trump Tariffs went into effect.

I put a 10" rotary table {horizontal only, about 80 pounds, $240 from ebay} on mine.

a 5" vise is perfect for this size mill, I only have a 4" vise, a 6" vise is getting bigger than necessary. I have my vise permanently on the rotary table. It make tramming a breeze.

With your ceiling height, I think that is the biggest knee mill that you can buy new that will fit. I have a similar sized Clausing 8520 6x24" mill that I am very happy with.

If you have the budget, Glacern vises ($450) seem to be well regarded, Kurt vises (even more expensive $500-600) seem to be the standard all others are measured against. At the cheaper end I have heard good things about PM's and Little Machine Shop's higher end vises ($200-ish price range). I have a 5" vise on my 8520, but would prefer a 4" for everyday use. With the 8x30 table a 5" would probably be fine, I'm guessing a 6" would be about where my 5" is, functional, but a tad large. 6" vises can be had for a better price though as they are quite common.

I got a 6" Homge horizontal / vertical rotary table for my mill. It is a nice size for it, but with your wider table an 8" would probably fit nicely. It is a good quality Taiwan made RT, that I found in "like new condition" on Ebay for $199 with free shipping. It really was in perfect condition when I got it.

Can't help you with the DRO as I am giving that some thought myself.

Have you asked Grizzly what the height is set up? It says shipping height is 76 inches, but if they ship it with the head tipped to the side to lower the center of gravity, it looks like it might be 8 to 10 inches taller than that with the head vertical. What is the height of the ceiling between joists? Could you fit it in between?
If you cant fit it in because of height, you might look at the PM 833T which has a larger work envelope, an operating height of 75 inches (can go up to 88) for about $100 less.

As I have stated in previous posts, the bottom of the overhead joists in my basement are at 79". So shorter height is necessary.
Right now I am looking to pull the trigger on the Grizzly G0678 8x30 knee mill. I really like the weight and rigidness of a mill in that size and price range.

At 79 inches you may have to leave the top cover off the mill--OR--position the mill head between 2 joists so the top can flip open.

You are welcome to sway me otherwise.

I have the G0730 and like it very much. The belts are fairly easy to swap around for speed control. I am thinking of making some pulleys to lower the minimum RPMs.

Vice - I am open to all recommendations for a new vice.

I have a 4" Grizzly vise. The rotating base is a joke but almost usable. The clamping screw is not as hard as it should be.
Advise you step up to a 5" vise of better quality.

Rotarty table - again, I'm open to all recommendations for a new rotary table.

I have a 10" horizontal only rotary table (about $250 ebay) that I have my vise (semi)permanently mounted on. I like this thing a lot. Around 100 pounds. I would recommend a larger Horizontal only over a smaller H-V table. For a mill of this size, the Vertical table only needs to be 5"-6" while you really want a larger horizontal table for various milling purposes. I have my vise on the RT an this make tramming a breeze.

It was a seriously good mill 2 years at $3500, too bad Trump put tariffs on them.

The mill is 67" tall off the pallet with the head up so it's perfect for my basement. Also, they ship it with the head up.

I also have your issue with vertically challenged basement ceiling at 79". I have a Tree 2UVR that is only a bit bigger work area but has 3 times the mass, so it is extremely rigid. It has a "pancake" motor to keep the height low. The machine its self stands 75 inches, I have it on 2" high feet and have 2 inches clearance to the ceiling. There is still room to get the motor cover off over the top as I have the motor center between the joists. Also gives adequate room to nod the head up or down if desired. But it is similar size and capacity to a Bridgeport but still 1,000 lbs more mass, it just don't chatter even with roughing cuts using a single flute insert 3/4 dia cutter taking .312 deep x 1/2 wide cuts in stainless steel. The lighter Bridgeport will not fit in your basement. While You will not find a new Tree, there are some of them around with low usage.

I know of one available for $1300 in W. Hempstead NY I know noting about it just that it is available.

I bought a 6" glacern and have been really pleased with it. Huge clamping range.

Back