Upgrade to multifix

Ugg... after seeing Abom with a multifix (btw, his videos this weekend were about making the tnut and stud for one of these!), I've drooled over them. But at $150/tool holder (compared to $30 for the Aloris style) I can't justify one :/ Maybe in my next life :)

I have the "E" size multifix on my 11" lathe. I made a new stud (no T slot on my compound). I also had to skim the bottom of all the tool holders to get 3/4" tools down to center height. It was a bit of a trick to get the small chamfer worked out, but with that sorted, the result has been awesome. I'm glad I went with the "E" size as I like using the 3/4" tools. One feature that I like with the 40 position is that I rarely need to loosen or swing the tool post.

I have a CXA on my 15" lathe, it is also good. I find I end up adjusting the position of the tool post on nearly every job. The diamond tool holder needs a different angle to tune and face than regular perpendicular tools. Another example is chamfers right off the tool edge. All that said, I am not going to replace the CXA with a multifix style.
Chipper, is that the Create Multifix, or one of the older Swiss/Enco versions?
Edit: disregard I saw your second post after typing this.

Ugg... after seeing Abom with a multifix (btw, his videos this weekend were about making the tnut and stud for one of these!), I've drooled over them. But at $150/tool holder (compared to $30 for the Aloris style) I can't justify one :/ Maybe in my next life :)
Depends on the size, but the ones I'm looking at (E) are $60 - $120 each. One advantage is supposedly you can run two tools in each so don't need as many holders.

Depends on the size, but the ones I'm looking at (E) are $60 - $120 each. One advantage is supposedly you can run two tools in each so don't need as many holders.
I've got a 16" lathe, so my tools are likely one of the big ones.

I typically run 2 tools in my Aloris CA clone holders as well, though I find the other direction I use way less often.

Looks like the Germans are making them now.

I really like not having to loosen the Multifix top nut to get an angle. For my G4003G I went with the "A" size after sending measurements to Create Tool's people. If i went a size bigger it might've been alright but I might have had to shave down a holder for some tooling. FWIW, I use their AJ3080 holders with compression sleeves I made for my boring bars. I find it's more secure and less vibration than using set screws down on the bars. Very happy with the Multifix setup.

I have the E-size Multifix on on my Takasawa TSL-800 and really like it, at least in comparison to the Phase II tool post on my previous lathe. That said, if I wanted 60 tool holders, I'd probably look elsewhere, but my needs are modest enough that it works for me.

I am a newbie and have Just started shopping around for a QCTP.
I am curious as to why the Multifix style is so much better than say the Aloris style wedge tool post system.
What are the advantages? to either style? be interested to read any views.
I did a search of the site but nothing really answered my query.
The more info I can get before making any purchase, may save me some buyers regret.
Cheers

I am a newbie and have Just started shopping around for a QCTP.
I am curious as to why the Multifix style is so much better than say the Aloris style wedge tool post system.
What are the advantages? to either style? be interested to read any views.
I did a search of the site but nothing really answered my query.
The more info I can get before making any purchase, may save me some buyers regret.
Cheers
Welcome! The advantage of the 40 position Multifix design is being able to easily change tool angle without loosening the tool post bolt. The Aloris is a great system as well.

Last edited:
Just received a size E Multifix toolpost from PeWeTools and a bunch of holders. Haven't installed it yet (or even opened all the boxes), but I'm pretty impressed with the fit and finish, especially given the price.

IMG_0478[1].JPGIMG_0479[1].JPG

Back