• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Upgrading My South Bend 9" Lathe to large Dials

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The dial upgrade on my X-Y table was practice for doing my South Bend lathe.
I am so pleased with the results on the table, it will be great on my lathe.

I will be increasing the dial size on both the compound and the cross slide from 1 inch in diameter to 1 3/4 inches in diameter. This project requires making a new lead screws for the compound and the cross slide. I am starting with the compound (I could cut up the old ones but there would be no going back). I started with a piece of .500 drill rod ( because I had no 3/8 diameter), turned it to .374" diameter and cut 3/8-10 acme thread for 3.750 inches. I had an old compound nut from when I replaced it. It only had a little wear ( I think about .010" back lash) So I cut the new screw to fit this nut and will use it in the change over.

The photo below shows testing the nut for fit. There is zero back lash on the fit.
machining compound lead screw.jpg

The next photo is the completed lead screw. It will fasten to the bushing in the bearing assembly.
finished compound lead screw.jpg

more tomorrow.....

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Today I made the large bushing that screws into the compound.
20170625_113846_HDR_resized.jpg
The bearing pocket and retainer plate pocket is cut, the screw holes are drilled and tapped.

20170625_113901_HDR_resized.jpg
The rear of the bushing has a spud that is threaded 9/16-18 to screw into the compound.

20170625_114207_HDR_resized.jpg
This is the unit assembled. the bearings will be here tomorrow.

Next is to make the lead screw extension.

woodchucker

Nice, I already did the crossfeed, and am wanting to do the compound.
Are you going to do 200 ticks to get a direct reading dial on the crossfeed? I recommend it. Work is so much faster. I can rough out quickly just using the dial, where as before, there were lots of errors due to radius readings.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice, I already did the crossfeed, and am wanting to do the compound.
Are you going to do 200 ticks to get a direct reading dial on the crossfeed? I recommend it. Work is so much faster. I can rough out quickly just using the dial, where as before, there were lots of errors due to radius readings.
Actually no...... I am used to the way it reads now so I will be leaving it at 100 ticks on the dials. I automatically half the dial readings in my head when working. I guess it is a matter of preference, but I never minded the way the South Bend dials read and I think it would be hard to change now for me.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
The compound upgrade is almost done. I am waiting on the bearings now.

I installed the bushing into the compound and marked the location for the witness mark and spanner wrench hole, and drilled the oil hole.
oil hole.jpg
witness mark.jpg
spanner wrench hole.jpg

I test fit the assembly and all is as close to perfect as I could expect. I will finish machining the outside end of the shaft for the handle after installing the bearings when they arrive.
test fit.jpg
I will also engrave the lines and numbers on the dial.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
That's the part that scares me LOL but I'm sure you'll make it come out great
Mark S.
I have a good setup for stamping numbers. I am going to refine it into a stand alone setup.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I set up my dividing head on the lathe and engraved the lines on the dial. ( I'm working on a mounting bracket for easily mounting the dividing head to the lathe for marking dials.)
20170626_161749_HDR_resized.jpg
The lines came out perfect. Tomorrow, I will stamp the numbers.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
The large dial conversion is completed for the compound. This is the assembly ready to put in the compound.
20170627_121908_HDR_resized.jpg
20170627_121935_HDR_resized.jpg

installed
20170627_175215_HDR_resized.jpg
20170627_175234_HDR_resized.jpg
I can see this dial accurately, much better.

20170627_175841_HDR_resized.jpg
this is a comparison between the old dial and the new one. I'l put the old assembly in my tool box drawer. ( I just think I should save it for some reason).

These are the prints I made my dial from.
Compound Dial and Dial Body.jpg Compound Lead Screw.jpg

Next is to do the cross slide................

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Great work! Can you please show us some pics and explain how you stamp the dials so nicely?

Thanks!
Ted
I will take photos and explain in detail when I do the cross slide dial so keep watching for the cross slide dial update.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mark what type of steel did you use for the dials? It looks so shiny, can't be 1018?
Mark S.
I believe it is 1018 cold roll. I polish it with 220 grit and then 400 grit for a polished finish.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Have you ever thought of making some kind of press fixture to do the stamping operation?
Mark S.
Im not exactly sure what you mean, but I will be doing a detailed article on how I engrave and stamp dials. I did one once before ( but I don't know where it is).

markba633csi

I'm assuming you hold the stamps in one hand and tap them with a hammer?-I was thinking of some type of fixture that would hold the stamps over the workpiece (your dials in this case) which you then insert into a press and give a squeeze. Or hammer tap. Rinse and repeat for each digit. Advantage being you could locate the numbers spot on. In theory.
Mark S.

woodchucker

Very nice. My numbers were horrible by comparison. Really nice job. I'll send you mine ;)

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming you hold the stamps in one hand and tap them with a hammer?-I was thinking of some type of fixture that would hold the stamps over the workpiece (your dials in this case) which you then insert into a press and give a squeeze. Or hammer tap. Rinse and repeat for each digit. Advantage being you could locate the numbers spot on. In theory.
Mark S.
I use a fixture I made to hold the stamp and I bang them with a hammer. Watch for my post on this. It will be in moderator projects where this thread is.

markba633csi

That was always the step where I could never hold my hand steady enough, and my shop teacher complained about it too. LOL
Mark

[6]
[5] [7]