Upgrading to a QCTP ....... advice please

Yes they will physically fit the tool post but that doesn't always mean you will be able to use one of their tool holders.......

That's Dorian for you, always trying to be innovative (a good thing) by constantly making changes (not always a good thing). This post may be a bit long so here it goes.

Wow, that's quite a can of worms I opened up! Thanks for the info Will. I am AMAZED Dorian uses the same part number for both the piston and cam lock tool post holders. How Can They Do That?????? What are they thinking????? They make beautiful tools, BUT... I am just speechless!

Bob

Wow, that's quite a can of worms I opened up! Thanks for the info Will. I am AMAZED Dorian uses the same part number for both the piston and cam lock tool post holders. How Can They Do That?????? What are they thinking????? They make beautiful tools, BUT... I am just speechless!

Bob

Not too big of a surprise I suppose. Many manufacturers make changes to their products. The cam lock tool post went out of production when they updated to the wedge lock & since it replaced the older product I guess there was no really need for a different p/n but it sure does cause confusion during yhat transition. It's like car model, often there are changes within a generation vehicle but at least they have designations by years to keep track of changes. With tools this really doesn't happen. Sometimes I wish it was easier for us to determine the dates of manufacture & changes but not really important.

Not too big of a surprise I suppose. Many manufacturers make changes to their products. The cam lock tool post went out of production when they updated to the wedge lock & since it replaced the older product I guess there was no really need for a different p/n but it sure does cause confusion during yhat transition. It's like car model, often there are changes within a generation vehicle but at least they have designations by years to keep track of changes. With tools this really doesn't happen. Sometimes I wish it was easier for us to determine the dates of manufacture & changes but not really important.

I hear what you are saying Will, but I just can't let Dorian off that easy. Like I said before, they make beautiful tools, but if they can't keep track of what they sell, how are we supposed to? Look at what you had to go through just to get the desired tool post holder. I really find that unacceptable. Bottom line, it must be affecting THEIR bottom line, and that is not good for anyone!

By the way, your pictures are excellent, bright and very good depth of field. May I ask what camera you use?

Bob

Haha, yeah I see your point though. I'll still buy their tools when I can afford them. Many of of my indexable insert holders (my most used ones) are Dorian. If I had to do it all over again I still would buy their tool post. I just don't buy their QC tool holders as a first priority, I woukd rather buy Aloris holders but I haven't yet. But when I find a great deal on a use Dorian holder I'll jump on them. But their heavy duty boring bar holders are my favorite....well their newer ones, don't want to get into that but those were easy to get. :rofl:

A while back there was a long thread on another forum about problems experienced with Dorian. Poor customer service. Bad attitudes. I don't know if these problems have been cleared up. I plan to stick to my Aloris though,and avoid design changes that make problems. Besides,I think the longer sliding wedge design of Aloris is more rigid. It has been the industry standard for many years.

A while back there was a long thread on another forum about problems experienced with Dorian. Poor customer service. Bad attitudes. I don't know if these problems have been cleared up. I plan to stick to my Aloris though,and avoid design changes that make problems. Besides,I think the longer sliding wedge design of Aloris is more rigid. It has been the industry standard for many years.

Yes correct george, but I think I read He has something like a 10" swing and he is updating his lantern? When I did that I bought only because Wholesale tools was right down the
street (gone now) so I bought (2) quick change setups for my 9 & 10 SB AXA and ya over the pond pistons. Thats A 100% improvement over a lantern, no knocking them but they
take time to set up. Again, the old story puttin Caddilac hub cabs on a Chevy dont make it a Caddy. Now If you have like I have a heavy 20 plus, then I say no, now your talking
big bucks for a great big wedge system. Another words an expensive high tech. for a light machine for me is wasting money to be spent on more important tooling.
sam

Oh, I'm gonna get bashed on this one Sapphire....... "quote Geo.C. Stephens 1952"

s

I have an Aloris BXA wedge type on a 14” lathe. I think it’s the best size and as far as quality, it’s been flawless for about 25 years now. I use 3/8” HSS (MoMax & Super) square mostly. The holders can hold a bigger bit, but I do not see the need. For me, it only means more time at the grinder to remove more tool bit metal. A 3/8” is ridged enough for me. And MoMax can be a long grinding experience! If you are thinking about modifying an Aloris tool holder, maybe think again. The material is pretty tuff stuff and will eat up your tooling in the attempt. However, I have made several special holders out of aluminum (2024) and have surprised myself on how well they have held up…Good Luck.

You can keep the oversized replaceable insert tools you have with your new QCTP. Just mill down the bottom of the tool to half inch leaving the front inch under the insert alone. Then they will still work and your tool is down to half inch height (If that is what you need.)

Back