Urgent request for assistance - Bridgeport-related

Have you looked at one of these. The define as a com port. I have used one on cisco gear.

[h=1]Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter[/h][h=2]Model Number: USA-19HS[/h]
USA19HS-FRONT-M.jpg

USA19HS-FRONT-M.jpg

In any case, Its a good idea to stock up on obsolete hardware for just such occasions. I have 2 obsolete dell dimension computers with serial and parrallel ports in addition to the one running my cnc plasma cutter for such occassions. I paid $40 ea for them from a local computer shop in my area. I felt like I won the lottery! Nobody advertises this old stuff on ebay anymore because they figure that nobody wants it. A computer repair place in your locality might be able to hook you up with some old parts that they never got around to throwing out yet.

I know this isn't the instant fix you need right now, but I had a Series II Bridgeport BOSS 6 mill and got tired of the problems blowing transistors and the lack of memory. I bought a Ah-HA Design controller and used there software to retrofit my mill. The difference was fantastic. I had unlimited memory and a computer controlled the machine. It was the best thing I ever did for the old Bridgeport until I sold it and bought a VMC. As far as I now almost 10 years later the machine is still in use.

http://www.matronics.com/cnc/gear.htm

I know this isn't the instant fix you need right now, but I had a Series II Bridgeport BOSS 6 mill and got tired of the problems blowing transistors and the lack of memory. I bought a Ah-HA Design controller and used there software to retrofit my mill. The difference was fantastic. I had unlimited memory and a computer controlled the machine. It was the best thing I ever did for the old Bridgeport until I sold it and bought a VMC. As far as I now almost 10 years later the machine is still in use.

http://www.matronics.com/cnc/gear.htm

FINALLY found somebody else that used AHHA! I used it for several years. One great control but they are out of business.

To the OP, for sure find something to get you past this emergency. but you are LONG overdue to upgrade your control. BOSS 6 is servos, correct? I'd start learning all about LinuxCNC if I were you.

Karl

I didn't know they were out of business. That's really too bad, but I guess there aren't many of the older machines around that use steppers anymore so their business probably went away for them. They saved my bacon years ago on my Bridgeport. And BOSS 6 is steppers, not servos.

Before I went to the AH-Ha design drive setup I used a card from Slow Motion Controls. It was an interface card and ran off a PC and used the Ah-Ha software. I'm not sure if they are in business now either, but if they are maybe there is another software that their card could interface with and run the machine off of.

Ocassionally I see the old BOSS machines for sale for very cheap............and I mean cheap. I was tempted to get one but now that I know Ah-Ha is out of business I'll think twice about that. I do have lots of Universal Quick Switch II tool holders for one. I'd sell them, but I got lucky and found an adapter for my R8 spindle and can use them in my manual.

I wish I could help more, I was in the same position years ago with my BOSS machine.

What mother board is in the newer computer you are trying to use? Brand name and number. What operating system is the main C drive using?
From there we may be able to help you.

Ray

I didn't know they were out of business. That's really too bad, but I guess there aren't many of the older machines around that use steppers anymore so their business probably went away for them. They saved my bacon years ago on my Bridgeport. And BOSS 6 is steppers, not servos.

If the OP has a stepper machine, it is VERY EASY to upgrade to a Mach3 control. I'd really suggest this, after getting past the current emergency.

Karl

To the OP

Check goodwill and outhers. Around here you can still get old computers there for 10 or 15 bucks.

I have all sorts of OLD hard drives and even some old motherboards that are still new in the box.
Also have a bunch of AT power supplies.
Let my know if you want to make a deal.

PS: Think you would be better off to get a serial card rather than using one of those USB adapters.
I'm sure you can get some software to make it work in XP.

In any case, Its a good idea to stock up on obsolete hardware for just such occasions. I have 2 obsolete dell dimension computers with serial and parrallel ports in addition to the one running my cnc plasma cutter for such occassions. I paid $40 ea for them from a local computer shop in my area. I felt like I won the lottery! Nobody advertises this old stuff on ebay anymore because they figure that nobody wants it. A computer repair place in your locality might be able to hook you up with some old parts that they never got around to throwing out yet.

Sorry for the slow response, I have been playing a sort of roulette game with computers and power supplies. My experience with EBAY is that people selling 386 and 486 computers must have realized there is a market for them, because I have seen them selling for hundreds of dollars, while Dell Optiplexes and more modern machines are super cheap.

Back