US to UK Shop Move - Anyone have experience? 120v-240v Questions

DaveBarbier

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone, I’m looking to move to Scotland from the US. I am bringing my home shop with me via shipping container. My old motorcycles, welders, tools, etc. Pretty much the whole shebang.

My question has to do with voltage differences. My pedestal grinders, drill press and lathe all have motors that can be wired up for 240v. With these will I just need to swap out the plug and make sure they’re wired for the higher voltage or does it not work that way?

For the other low voltage things like soldering guns, electric die grinders, pump in the parts cleaner, etc., am I best to just sell that stuff and buy new once I move over here? Or if it says it can handle 240v on the device I should be able to use a US-UK adapter or switch out the plug, no?

Any help is appreciated.

I think its the 50 hz there and 60 hz here that will be the concern.
Voltage can be change with a transformer.

Frequency will be your problem. Minimum issue you will notice is motor speed. Secondary and more serious issue is overheating. I found this link to at least begin your investigation - hope you find it useful and good luck on your move! What a change!

The higher power travel adapters commonly use a rectifier to cut one half of the sine wave. A better solution would be to get a step down transformer of sufficient capacity.

We have 110v site power in the UK for safety they offer the cheapest way to get high power step down transformer.

You can get big ones that are more power they are intended for running lots of 110v all over a site.

As has been mentioned the motors will run a little slower , will only be about a couple of hundred rpm lost.

Can you fit all ur stuff in Scotland it's very small and pokey unless you have a farm or such :) <--- (not insult just how it is ;) )

Stu

Frequency will be your problem. Minimum issue you will notice is motor speed. Secondary and more serious issue is overheating. I found this link to at least begin your investigation - hope you find it useful and good luck on your move! What a change!

Much appreciated! Not a bad option, beats buying all new motors at least!

The higher power travel adapters commonly use a rectifier to cut one half of the sine wave. A better solution would be to get a step down transformer of sufficient capacity.

The more I think of it the less I care about bringing over the 110v stuff. It’s small stuff and I can get new ones once I get here. In stead of buying a transformer. I’d rather have the freedom of plugging that stuff in to any outlet. Thanks for the help though

We have 110v site power in the UK for safety they offer the cheapest way to get high power step down transformer.

You can get big ones that are more power they are intended for running lots of 110v all over a site.

As has been mentioned the motors will run a little slower , will only be about a couple of hundred rpm lost.

Can you fit all ur stuff in Scotland it's very small and pokey unless you have a farm or such :)
Stu

It is small but all the people are crammed into the cities. I can’t believe people can live like that, haha, just my opinion. There’s plenty of room in the highlands though ;)

having moved countries 4 times (last time to the US) I'd agree and sell the small 110V stuff. It's just not worth the hassle of using a transformer. For the bigger stuff it may be worth investigating buying a new motor in the UK. Or use the opportunity to go 3 phase + vfd :)

having moved countries 4 times (last time to the US) I'd agree and sell the small 110V stuff. It's just not worth the hassle of using a transformer. For the bigger stuff it may be worth investigating buying a new motor in the UK. Or use the opportunity to go 3 phase + vfd :)

Thanks for the help! A fellow traveler!

Back