Used DRO.

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Locally there is a used Mitutoyo digital readout from a vertical boring mill. Looks in good shape and poster says it’s in good shape.
Its an older unit.
My question is, am I further ahead with a good used one, or order an off shore unit that is less expensive?
My DRO on my boring mill only works in Y. I can’t seem to be able to get Xand Z to work. I have cleaned the glass scales but the rubber sealing them is falling apart. The numbers just flicker like it’s trying to read but doesn’t change.The Mitutoyo is a two axis with the right dimensions or close enough.
Thoughts.
Martin

Attachments

• 8C3E2135-920C-4CF2-BD86-4A7FF9E57706.png
    8C3E2135-920C-4CF2-BD86-4A7FF9E57706.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
I've had no problems with the DRO's direct from China via AliExpress. You can hardly buy a tape measure for the price. lol
Go with the LCD screen, had an LED head on the mill, worked fine but the afternoon sun would make it unreadable, replaced it with an LCD one, night and day plus the graphics for hole circles and such are nice.

Greg

You will want to be able to test the used DRO. Sometimes the scales appear to work normally, but if you watch the read out carefully, it will skip small segments when there are issues. I agree with the others that given the prices of new are so cheap, it might be the better choice.

I buy used DRO'S.
I have a used Mitutoyo off a horizontal mill and I am very pleased.
There are used parts available as well.
I don't know to much about the cheap imports.
When brand model is you existing DRO?

I buy used DRO'S.
I have a used Mitutoyo off a horizontal mill and I am very pleased.
There are used parts available as well.
I don't know to much about the cheap imports.
When brand model is you existing DRO?
It’s a Quality Measurement Inc.
I cleaned it like you suggested before. Still doesn’t seem to want to read.
Thanks
Martin

I find sometimes a loose or worn slide will affect the scales ability to read accurately.
If you can find instructions for your brand of scales see that the reader head is correctly aligned.

Back