Used Rong Fu Mill Drill Machine Prices/Value Proposition

E0stir

Registered
Registered
Hey All - Does anyone know of or have knowledge or experience in the aftermarket/used Rong Fu machine world? //Private seller to private buyer.

I'm trying to determine an average price range for these larger benchtop milling machines. My interest was peaked via listing for an "excellent condition" RF-45N2F (Model 60859287) manufactured in 2011 (middle). The machine is being sold with a nice mcmaster-carr steel work bench (4,000 lbs capacity @ 30" x60 ), 6" Kurt vise, collect set, chuck, etc.

Side Question on VALUE:

If I were purchasing something like this and only put minimal hours on it via hobby work, would it maintain its value? Clearly this assumes care is taken w/ the use and all maintenance is performed, yatta, yatta. Are they like guns where the value remains with proper use/care?

References -

MSC Model Specs:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I picked up a similar LC30 about 7 years back for $500Cdn, I think it was a bit of a bargain based on the prices I see nowdays.

It had a 600V motor so I guess most hobby type people avoided it, I just swapped the motor for a used eBay one and picked up a used VFD. I have done a lot of unnecessary for basic usage but very useful modifications.

I think these small mills not only hold their value but actually appreciate over time.

Used machines are a bit of a commodity, the market can go up or down but its generally pretty level, so you won't risk a big loss, if any.

This is really tough because there are areas the guys there swear is a machine desert. So they might be rarer and more expensive. And what people call a RF isn‘t one and often the numbers they call them like a xx30 if it was a real RF it would be a smaller lighter cheaper unit. It takes a bit of background in RF’s to know the difference. Being Taiwan made they are a cut above in fit and finish than the Chinese units.

But despite it being generally reviled by the BP crowd, they have become the hobby mill for those like me who don’t have the need or space for a Bridgeport. And the prices are just all over the map with a lot of factors. Like right now there is a real RF30 local that is pretty new and has some tooling etc with a nice table and vise. The real selling point to me is it’s one of the rare powered down feed models for $2k. I bought my well used ‘88 vintage RF30 with a nice HD table, worn out useless vice and a bunch of dull end mills for $450. I think the RF45 actually had a dovetail instead of the round column and a gear head instead of belts and is a bit more substantial. Don’t see those often so don’t know what to tell you.

I paid $950 for my RF-30 clone, a 5" vise and a t-shirt. I bought it at an auction house, and they were willing to deal on the price. When I was looking a few years ago, they were about $900-$1800, depending on condition, features and what tooling they came with. I think most of them sold around $900-$1200, though ( I called the sellers and asked). The nicer ones with tooling sold for more. There were a few beat to hell ones that sold for less than $900, but they were wrecks.

I would recommend a 5" vise; the 6" is too big and a 4" is too small. Remember, the jaws on decent mill vises can be reversed if you need to hold something bigger.

You asked about value. I'd day they hold up fairly well. The issue with these is the round column is seen as causing an issue with not being able to raise and lower the head without losing the X and Y. I've found that is not a major issue if you plan ahead. It can also be raised and lowered without losing the X and Y using a dial indicator. Just attach one to the bed and run a dial indicator feeler on the column on you raise and lower the head.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the postings. This one is certainly the RF45, as I've been only focused on the square ways and not the round column style mill drills.

I will say I sure as heck picked a ****e time to get into the hobby machining game with the supply chain and current market prices...
11a24d43da92e0e689a123100ea2f13f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking mill, What is the seller asking for it?

I bought a round column in the RF-45 range for $600. Over a couple year, I filled the colum and base with concrete, swapped the motor for a 3Hp DC for the varialble speed, DRO, X power feed, etc. Ended up selling for $1800 when I got a BP.
If not left to rust or run hard without lubricant, these machines hold up well and maintain their value.

I'm a bit surprised at the used (asking) prices for these Mill Drills- they're usually in the low teens with accessories, tooling in decent shape. They can be in the high hundreds if neglected and unwanted. I think they have kind of zero depreciation if you buy a used one and keep it for five years. Here in NC, there are a lot of old farms and these were popular with farmers for basic maintenance tasks- I've seen more than one at estate sales usually for the best prices. They clean up pretty easily, even if they've been poorly maintained- barns aren't the best environment, I helped a friend with this. We got it all aligned, shimmed (trammed) and the gibs set. He then took off the table and took it somewhere with a Bridgeport and had a few thousandths skimmed off the table- it looks great. I bought mine from Rutland Tool in 1998 and its been used lightly in a hobby shop cutting aluminum mostly- it needs tramming/shimming, out a few thousandths at the extremes of table travel. I think they droop a little over time because I did this once long ago. They are reviled by the BP crowd for sure but I've found it to be very practical and capable. Getting a decent Kurt Clone 4" Vise makes them more useful. Avoid taking heavy cuts in the X direction- the first time the head rotates on you, you'll do some swearing and likely never make that mistake again. I've adapted to the round column- over the years I've come up tooling that doesn't have a lot of variation in Z. Every now and then, I find myself cranking around in Z hopefully not in the middle of a setup.

I’m surprised too. I only see them going up used. The only ones that have come up locally are close to $2k and for the most part seem to have mostly sat and are dusty and crusty. Right now there is a close to new RF30 on CL with OEM stand, nice DRO, X feed, 4” vise and the rare auto downfeed for $2k.

Mine had a hard life but for $450 with a nice welded table it has more than paid for itself. Of course it didn’t have a DRO or X feed but those were easily added.

Back