Useful WebSite

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't remember where I found this site. It may have been here long ago. . .:big grin: In any case, I am an Electrical Engineer by experience but with little formal schooling. There are many general subjects that I have touched on but not studied very much. In addition, there are many subjects related to other disciplines that have no relation to electrical. These I study as necessary for a particular project and then forget most of what they covered. Many of my projects are overkilled, over engineered, simply because I was in a hurry and built by eye. I'm sure there is some residual memory involved where I don't specifically remember something, but my judgement was long ago modified by reading about it.

Be that as it may, the electrical information here is a good overview but is in no way a serious tretease on the subject. I must assume that other subjects have similar coverage. As in lightly covering a subject but no indepth analysis of it. I saved it as a reference where I can follow up on structural concepts and don't depend on my judgement alone.

Of particular interest to me is a very basic chart of twist drill sizes, both Imperial and Metric. I would prefer to have the two intermixed sizing by thousandths, but it is still useful especially to a novice.

Each subject is a seperate HTML page, some of which are worth saving, depending on each person's discioline.

Bi11 Hudson​

I think that Bill means discipline. However, those are excellent sites. I shall keep them as references. Thanks Bill.

It is a pity that spell check indicates misspellings (on our forum), but does not offer alternatives or correct spellings, many have been the times that I have had to go to e mail and enter a misspelled word in an e mail format to discover correct spelling, then back to our forum to use the corrected spelling on a reply to a posting. I do not consider myself anal on the issue of spelling, but do like to spell correctly, if possible.

If you ever order something from SunCoast Precision Tools, they include a nice 5" x 7" card with practically all of the Imperial Supplies data sheet on one side. (SPT card starts with 0.3mm) On the other side is a chart for tap size & pitch with drill sizes for cutting and forming taps. It covers metric and imperial sizes. The chart is a very handy size and coated. I have two of these cards, one in the shop, and one by my computer, when I am making drawings.

I don't remember where I found this site. It may have been here long ago. . .:big grin:In any case, I am an Electrical Engineer by experience but with little formal schooling. There are many general subjects that I have touched on but not studied very much. In addition, there are many subjects related to other disciplines that have no relation to electrical. These I study as necessary for a particular project and then forget most of what they covered. Many of my projects are overkilled, over engineered, simply because I was in a hurry and built by eye. I'm sure there is some residual memory involved where I don't specifically remember something, but my judgement was long ago modified by reading about it.

Be that as it may, the electrical information here is a good overview but is in no way a serious tretease on the subject. I must assume that other subjects have similar coverage. As in lightly covering a subject but no indepth analysis of it. I saved it as a reference where I can follow up on structural concepts and don't depend on my judgement alone.

Of particular interest to me is a very basic chart of twist drill sizes, both Imperial and Metric. I would prefer to have the two intermixed sizing by thousandths, but it is still useful especially to a novice.

Each subject is a seperate HTML page, some of which are worth saving, depending on each person's discioline.

Bi11 Hudson​
I made this chart in Excel some time ago, it may be close to the format you wanted....

Attachments

• DRILL SIZE CHART.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 6
  • DRILL SIZE CHART.jpg
    DRILL SIZE CHART.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 21
It is a pity that spell check indicates misspellings (on our forum), but does not offer alternatives or correct spellings, many have been the times that I have had to go to e mail and enter a misspelled word in an e mail format to discover correct spelling, then back to our forum to use the corrected spelling on a reply to a posting. I do not consider myself anal on the issue of spelling, but do like to spell correctly, if possible.
It's okay. Even with spellcheck and a fat dictionary, sometimes I still can't get it right. :confused 2: So, it's heck with it. Hope that you can read what I mean and not what I spell. :guilty:

Thanks @Bi11Hudson for that info. There are so many good websites and calculators on the web that can assist us in our daily tasks. Just yesterday I was using a sine plate (first time ever I may add) and was really struggling with determining the gage block setup until I discovered that Little Machine Shop has a calculator for that. I do need to learn how to do it manually but their calculator was a great resource that helped me out.

For the linguistically challenged folks, I highly recommend Grammerly. I had been using their free version but recently purchased a subscription (at 60% off), which gives you extensive resources on sentence structure, spelling, punctuation and other resources. I have always considered myself to be very good in the grammer department but ever since my brain injury in 2020 it seems I need some help.

Thank you sir. Some very good information.
Martin

Back