Using QCTP holders

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I recently added an AXA Phase II type toolpost to my Atlas. The toolholders, specifically the 250-101 and 250-102, come with 4 set screws. Is that so that a tool can stick out both ends?

Also, the 250-110 has a knurler on one side, and set screws for holding a tool on the other. Does anyone use it in this manner?

Finally, how do I decide whether to use the 250-101 vs the 250-102? They seem to be identical, except for the groove in the bottom of the 250-102 slot.

They are designed with four screws so you can face the tool either way, turning or facing. But I wouldn't do both at the same time. I try to grab the tool by at least three screws.

Yes, I have a facing bit in the back of the knurler

The 102 can hold round tools. The 101 offers more tool stability for square tools.

I recently added an AXA Phase II type toolpost to my Atlas. The toolholders, specifically the 250-101 and 250-102, come with 4 set screws. Is that so that a tool can stick out both ends?
Yes, that is one option. Two set screws on a stub tool work just fine, and I also grind double ended tools on long blanks for turning/facing so I get a toofer for the tool holder.

Also, the 250-110 has a knurler on one side, and set screws for holding a tool on the other. Does anyone use it in this manner?
Yes, I was short one tool holder so I have a (very) small boring bar or internal threading tool on the other end of the knurler.

Finally, how do I decide whether to use the 250-101 vs the 250-102? They seem to be identical, except for the groove in the bottom of the 250-102 slot.
I like the ones with the v-notches for general purpose. Makes holders more versatile with no real downsides.

Just don't try to use the knurling tool, it is junk.
I don't know about that. This is my first and second attempt. Look at the tool, and how it is setup, and I see that the secret would be to NOT tighten the holder onto the post. Let it float and find its own center.

Attachments

• KIMG0501.JPG
    KIMG0501.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 100
Wow! That's a terrible picture. The knurl looks much better than the picture does.

I think that type of knurler should not even be sold for an AXA set. Because the lathe is likely too small to use it without damaging something

Some say they can damage the spindle bearing with high pressure it needs to be driven into the piece.

Long before the spindle bearing is harmed you are very likely to damage the cross slide lead screw nut with the pressure needed for a good knurl. Be careful putting high pressure on the cross slide lead screw on a small lathe.

The knurl wheels that came on my AXA bump tool weren't even the same diameter, total junk. I cut the end off, extended the tool slot, added a couple more set screws and used it for a regular tool holder.

Back