Using the lathe face plate , dogs & turning between centres.

Ben,
thanks for that , I can imagine the device you describe . I did have a bit of a fiddle chucking up the four jaw chuck to turn a face off centre on some 1.25 " hex bars , any chance of a picture or hand drawn sketch ?

I was thinking of using the chuck fitted with a bar turned to a point to trap things in place but the sliding piston & spring idea sound even better . Especially if the bar is scalloped out over an inch or so , so you can slip a pin in the rod to retain the piston permanently .

I had a lapse this afternoon & evening and went back to making the holder for the laser pointer.

It works well , has six alignment screws as two sets of evenly spaced alignment adjuster (three ) screws at the back and 60 degrees out of this alignment 25 mm forward of the back ones at the front is another set of three alignment screws . I played for about 2 minutes set it up but the beam was still half way up the chuck , judicious application of a lump of wood soon solved this little problem . The 1 mm laser spot now shines in the pinhole where the precision ground chuck jaws meet .
I took it out the tail stock , rotated it 180 degree and shoved it back , it's still in perfect alignment .

I spent the last hour chucking up the hex bar for the off centre turning of my face plate clamping devices and actually managed to chip off the first 1/4 inch some 10 mm deep having set the back gear & spindles up to give me about one rev per 1 . 5 seconds .

This face plate exercise is starting to come together , I can't wait to get back to it all after the weekend .

Piccies to follow tomorrow hopefully showing disasters 1,2 & 3 then the final modified solution.

Bob.
Thanks for the ball turning device pictures , I'll bet that I'm not the only one to have a good think about that one , can you put up a picture of the finished item please ?

....... I realized that I'd failed to consider balancing the face plate once the work was securely clamped up.......

Balancing is not always required. Depending on the size of your faceplate, (flywheel effect), weight of your workpiece, size of the lathe, and rpms, you can get away without counterweighting.

Cheers Phil

Lovely stuff thanks ,

But that's cheating :lmao: .........., Having the slide arrangement with keyways at 90 degrees axially ... did you make that yourself or cannibalize & " adjust" a bit of old kit off an old lathe etc.?

Lovely stuff thanks ,

But that's cheating :lmao: .........., Having the slide arrangement with keyways at 90 degrees axially ... did you make that yourself or cannibalize & " adjust" a bit of old kit off an old lathe etc.?

I made all the parts from plans in a 1962 Popular Science Mag. The plans said it would do a 3" ball so i had to give it a go. Yup it will. The compound is off my lathe. It just removes and slips on that plate with the 2 holes. So really you just make a post that fits into the compound hole. A tapered brass bushing and some pins for it. The plate and a handle and drill and tap a few holes. I have all the drawings and the article which is 5 pages...Bob
http://books.google.com/books?id=wC...6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=south bend lathe&f=false

I made all the parts from plans in a 1962 Popular Science Mag. The plans said it would do a 3" ball so i had to give it a go. Yup it will. The compound is off my lathe. It just removes and slips on that plate with the 2 holes. So really you just make a post that fits into the compound hole. A tapered brass bushing and some pins for it. The plate and a handle and drill and tap a few holes. I have all the drawings and the article which is 5 pages...Bob
http://books.google.com/books?id=wC...6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=south bend lathe&f=false

I worked on making parts for one of these in 1963 in my machine shop class in high school , did not know where the plans came from --- It was quite a nice attachment and easy to set up and use.

I am trying to attach a drawing of the centering device that I spoke earlier about; The device is intended for 14" and larger lathes, but can, of course be scaled down for smaller lathes.scan0001.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Did you find a way to print out the drawings from the magazine article? It seems that Google has done it's best to make it difficult to accomplish.

Back