V-belt stretch

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
I got a manual lawn tractor for $80 and like any stupid kid I pulley swapped it (1:2.5 to 3:1) blew a few belts and the replacement one was 2” longer than the original one (very loose without tensioner and needs it all the way out) and after stretching 2” in a minute I had to put on a second tensioner and I got a new belt that was 2” shorter then the original belt 82” vs 84” and it won’t go on so I tried to stretch it and it wouldn’t stretch even a bit, do some belts stretch and others don’t or am I doing something wrong? Doesn’t matter if I mess it up a bit since the transmission cracked in half but it goes 35 mph, does burnouts and wheelies.

Attachments

• E9FA0113-9AFC-4CD9-8A40-950BD7781D76.jpeg
    E9FA0113-9AFC-4CD9-8A40-950BD7781D76.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 46
35 on a lawnmower eh? Hold on tight!

Normal V belts don’t really stretch. They do make stretchable belts that are meant to be run in applications that don’t have a tensioner, but I haven’t used or seen one.

Way cool! Watched it several times and I’m still chuckling. Good for you, Braeden :encourage:

When it comes time for you to drive, it's a good thing you'll probably only have imports. Heaven forbid you get into a real good V-8. :grin:

V-belts will stretch 1-3% of their length after initial run in. The belt that stretched 2” probably broke the internal reinforcing bands.

Sounds like you may have set a new braking distance record. Looks like you were having fun, but a helmet might not be a bad idea. This coming from someone who's never worn one, with 55 years on two wheels. Cheers, Mike

Back