Venison hanging

Years ago we were up in NY at the local watering hole when the place emptied out . Had a deer hanging from a scale with 50 people looking on . The bar/resterant had a pull going for the year with the winner winning big bucks . ( no pun intended ) I'm not a hunter but love to shoot guns , but the daughter was quite shocked . I could hunt from the top floor of the house in NY if I hunted , the neighbors do . I'll get the wife on here to post on how she feels about it . :)

Years ago we were up in NY at the local watering hole when the place emptied out . Had a deer hanging from a scale with 50 people looking on . The bar/resterant had a pull going for the year with the winner winning big bucks . ( no pun intended ) I'm not a hunter but love to shoot guns , but the daughter was quite shocked . I could hunt from the top floor of the house in NY if I hunted , the neighbors do . I'll get the wife on here to post on how she feels about it . :)
Venison is very healthy meat. Fat is not in the muscle like beef.
I prefer to shoot them, bit will not pass free meat.
Plus is , I didn't need to burn a tag on this one.

With the advent of CWD, I ended my deer hunting years, Prior to that, venison was a staple, putting as many as five a year in the freezer. We rarely bought beef and that was usually hamburger to mix with ground venison. I processed the venison myself and we deboned everthing and trimmed most of the fat so you really needed the beef hamburger with its fat to hold the burgers together. Deer fat has a high melting point so it freezes on your lips, much like lamb. Venison tenderloin tips with sauteed morel mushrooms was a Springtime feast.

.338 Mag I can't reach out and touch anyone . Last time I shot this I could'nt breathe for 3 months . I'm suited for 22 for these days .
I had one of those, sold it.
kicked like a mule and could not find ammo suitable for deer, all was bear and elk ammo.

With the advent of CWD, I ended my deer hunting years, Prior to that, venison was a staple, putting as many as five a year in the freezer. We rarely bought beef and that was usually hamburger to mix with ground venison. I processed the venison myself and we deboned everthing and trimmed most of the fat so you really needed the beef hamburger with its fat to hold the burgers together. Deer fat has a high melting point so it freezes on your lips, much like lamb. Venison tenderloin tips with sauteed morel mushrooms was a Springtime feast.
I am right on the edge of a DMA, so the PAGC wants me to put the head in a collection bin.
the area I normally hunt is outside the DMA.

I am 3 miles from ground zero for CWD. The last I saw, it was estimated that 15% of the deer in our area were infected with older bucks more like 45%.

I was fortunate to be able to hunt the same 300 acres where I first rented for thirty years. The property got split up and although I supposedly had perpetual hunting privileges, others came in and messed up the hunting. I could set up a stand on the 12 acres that we own but it isn't my style of hunting. (I prefer still hunting.) I don't have to rely on venison for my protein any more and I don't relish the thought of freezing my hands doing the processing in our Wisconsin winters. I do miss the hunt but my eyesight is failing with a developing cataract in my scope eye and my shoulder won't allow me to draw my bow.

With over 100 deer taken over the years, I am content with my decision. If I do take up hunting a gain, it will be with a camera.

Back