Ventilation Concerns

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello,

I'm starting from scratch, both in terms of knowledge and tooling. As soon as Covid isn't a concern, I'm going to be taking Machining classes at my local community college. I'm a few years away from retirement, and after a lifetime of not being handy, I've caught the machining bug pretty hard, and have visions of setting up a small little shop. My main use case right now is making lightsaber hilts in the shop, after which I'll install the electronics in them.

I know I'm going to want a lathe and a mill and a bandsaw. I don't anticipate wanting to do any welding, but it's possible, I suppose.

I have a 2 car garage. Half of it is mine to use how I choose (other than some wall space being taken up by some shelves). I can have machines on the main floor, away from the wall, if I choose; there's no need to make it possible to fit a car in.

I'm desperately fighting off the urge to spend any money on machines or tools before I've taken some classes, but there are still some things I can be doing, and I'm wondering if arranging for ventilation is one of those things. Currently, it's just a garage; there's no fan or air circulation system.

If we assume that I won't be doing any welding, but will be using a lathe, a mill, a bandsaw, and doing some electronics soldering, what should I be thinking about in terms of ventilation? Is it a concern, or can I just raise the garage door when I'm doing something that throws a lot of particles?

Unless you intend to do a bunch of surface grinding or use a mister on the lathe and mill, I would not be overly concerned about ventilation in a 2 car garage setup. Depending on the climate there you may want to consider heating/cooling the space. Not only for comfort while actually working but to keep the temp and humidity levels somewhat constant to where you’re not rusting the machines to pieces.

For small lathe/mill projects you'll likely be hand applying any cutting fluids.
If you find a cutting fluid that smokes too much or smells bad, then change fluids.

My electronics/soldering bench is in my finished basement.
The TV area is at the other end, and I've had no complaints.

-brino

Thanks for all the swift responses! I'm relieved.

i use a whole two car garage and it’s packed to the gills with all kinds of mechanic, welding, sheetmetal and machine tools. My lathe and mill are in line along the wall with the garage door on one and and a man door on the other. If I’m using oil for either lathe or mill or cutting cast iron(dust) I have a small fan that blows across them from the man door to the open garage door. If I’m welding, grinding, powder coating or anything else i position in the open garage door with the same fan blowing out through the garage door. Always use appropriate eye, ear and respiratory equipment.

If you have a ventilation problem just open up the stage doors.

I plan on using an air filtration system rather than ventilation in my shop.

Hello,

I'm starting from scratch, both in terms of knowledge and tooling. As soon as Covid isn't a concern, I'm going to be taking Machining classes at my local community college. I'm a few years away from retirement, and after a lifetime of not being handy, I've caught the machining bug pretty hard, and have visions of setting up a small little shop. My main use case right now is making lightsaber hilts in the shop, after which I'll install the electronics in them.

I know I'm going to want a lathe and a mill and a bandsaw. I don't anticipate wanting to do any welding, but it's possible, I suppose.

I have a 2 car garage. Half of it is mine to use how I choose (other than some wall space being taken up by some shelves). I can have machines on the main floor, away from the wall, if I choose; there's no need to make it possible to fit a car in.

I'm desperately fighting off the urge to spend any money on machines or tools before I've taken some classes, but there are still some things I can be doing, and I'm wondering if arranging for ventilation is one of those things. Currently, it's just a garage; there's no fan or air circulation system.

If we assume that I won't be doing any welding, but will be using a lathe, a mill, a bandsaw, and doing some electronics soldering, what should I be thinking about in terms of ventilation? Is it a concern, or can I just raise the garage door when I'm doing something that throws a lot of particles?
Welcome from another forum newbie! My own basic shop tools, drill press, lathe, mill, saw and bench grinder/belt sander have been upgraded and added to over the past 40-50 years has been located in a full underground basement, deep one car garage and over the last 25 years in a 1000 sq. ft. Purpose built but limited ventilation shop (much of it below grade). I weld also. grinding it the worst but I think besides a possibility of a window, not really that big a priority. I feel like temperature and humidity control are really important to the condition of your tools and the pleasure derived from the shop.

I'm working on a spot extraction system and installed an air filtration system just a few weeks ago and the filter is catching stuff that surprises me. I'm not sure it should be quite as low on your priority list as it was mine but get an old machine of some type that will serve you, that you like and fix it up. Start simple, you will learn so much. I find that I enjoy doing that a lot. It takes most every skill there is including machining, fits, bearings, drives, electrical, lubrication, ingenuity, play time, chemistry measuring and more.
take the unsolicited advice as my own projected thinking. For sure, have fun!
rick

Back